New Kitten Won't Eat And Shakes And Hides.

WilliamXu987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm William. I got a really cute 5 month old kitten and it has not eaten wet and dry food for 1 whole day. It hadn't drunk at all. It hadn't gone to the toilet and it just sits in the corner of its room. It lets me pet it though. Any good ideas?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it confined to one room? It may just be scared and overwhelmed by a new place and new people, smells, sights, etc... 1 day isn't a lot to go on. Has he/she gone to the vet ever? Where did it come from? Is dry food and water out all the time for it? Maybe try some canned food. Are you sure it is 5 months and not younger?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WilliamXu987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it confined to one room? It may just be scared and overwhelmed by a new place and new people, smells, sights, etc... 1 day isn't a lot to go on. Has he/she gone to the vet ever? Where did it come from? Is dry food and water out all the time for it? Maybe try some canned food. Are you sure it is 5 months and not younger?
Thanks for your help. I got it from a certified selkirk rex breeder and it has a certificate saying its dob is 30/8/17. I have given it royal canin wet food and even kangaroo meet, which she used to eat everyday. It lets me pet it but i think that is just because she is very scared.

WilliamXu987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And yes it is in a medium sized room.

WilliamXu987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And yes it always has food there

Johnriii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if you kitten hasn't eaten by now, that's not good. I would get it to the vet soon, kittens need nutrition much more than a mature cat. I would at least call a vet and see what they say.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does it have hiding spots within its room? There are some good articles on this site about how to introduce cats to a new space, and all of them recommend providing hiding spots, and a blanket or other item that the cat can 'scent' so that he feels he has his own space. A room might seem confining to us, but it's probably a large, scary space for a kitten in a strange place. Even a cardboard box to hide in might make him feel more comfortable.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more question. Did you just get the kitten or have you had it since it was younger? I assume it has been seen by a vet if you had it since a baby?Do you not know if it is a boy or girl?

WilliamXu987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I
One more question. Did you just get the kitten or have you had it since it was younger? I assume it has been seen by a vet if you had it since a baby?Do you not know if it is a boy or girl?
Its girl and has all vaccinations and desexed. I recently got it

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would schedule a vet visit as soon as possible if you haven't already. Other than that just leave her alone and when you do hangout with her just be very gentle and talk gently to it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is your kitten now? Getting better adjusted? Is she eating now? It sounds like she was just shy and frightened in her new home.