New kitten strange colour!

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll take that dare! Purebred Russian Blues do not have cobby heads or big round eyes. They're rather lithe kitties. This kitten looks closer to a British Blue if she resembles any purebred.

Most solid-color kittens have some ghost striping. Sometimes if the light is right, you can even see it when they're adults. However, I think she may be a blue tabby because the stripes don't look "ghostly" enough. It will become more evident as she gets older. I don't see any cream spots so I don't think she's a torbie. The lighter area around her mouth just looks like shading.

She's soooo cute! I love her little blue nose!
Perhaps the color replication on my monitor is playing tricks, but I could swear that I see creamy patches on her cute little face, particularly on the chin and mid-face. As you said, it could be the lighting... but from the way I'm seeing it, it's most noticeable to me in the second picture.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue cats frequently have "silver tipping" on the hairs, especially on the face, that cause light to reflect and can make the face look as though it has lighter areas... I think that may be what you are seeing. I'm not seeing cream patches in the pictures at this time, but it's possible that she may have very small cream patches that may become obvious as she matures.

Actual cream patches on the face are typically lighter in color and can almost look like white markings. Here are a couple of random internet kittens with cream patches on the face, so you can see what that color would typically look like in a young kitten.
blue-cream-female-kitten-british-shorthair-583e9dc734e16.jpg $_86-2.JPG

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blue cats frequently have "silver tipping" on the hairs, especially on the face, that cause light to reflect and can make the face look as though it has lighter areas... I think that may be what you are seeing. I'm not seeing cream patches in the pictures at this time, but it's possible that she may have very small cream patches that may become obvious as she matures.

Actual cream patches on the face are typically lighter in color and can almost look like white markings. Here are a couple of random internet kittens with cream patches on the face, so you can see what that color would typically look like in a young kitten.
View attachment 306969 View attachment 306970
Again, my monitor makes that second pic look a lot like both of those. I've seen plenty of kittens like that in the "fur". Not meaning to disagree... but if you saw what I am seeing here... well, I'll just shut up because evidently I don't know what I'm talking about... and I guess my own kitten isn't blue, but black (genetically, she is) and my eyes are just malfunctioning.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the second picture, I see symmetrical lighter areas around the eyes, nose, whisker pads, and chin (with the exception of some dark spots on the middle of the nose that I'm guessing may be water drops or hair pushed back the other way). Are those the "patches" you are seeing on your monitor? Those are the areas that look like silver reflections to me.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On the second picture, I see symmetrical lighter areas around the eyes, nose, whisker pads, and chin (with the exception of some dark spots on the middle of the nose that I'm guessing may be water drops or hair pushed back the other way). Are those the "patches" you are seeing on your monitor? Those are the areas that look like silver reflections to me.
Yes, we're probably looking at the same thing. On my monitor, it renders sort of cream, not really silvery. And yes, the dark spot is there too. Maybe another straight-on face shot in neutral lighting with less sun glare would make it more clear.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks a lot like that, but I don't see any pure white like on the leg of that kitty. He's generally a lighter color of black except for his face. Wish I could get a pic of him, but he always comes at night and there's glass between us. I wouldn't dare open the doors. There would be a cat fight to the next county.
Sorry to change the topic, but this cat turned up again today, and to my amazement, he's now turning white! He's got a gray ruff, and his tail is almost entirely white, and the back of his hind legs are white. Not like a spotted cat - the edges of the white blend into the black. Wish I knew who he belongs to so I could ask. Has anybody seen anything like this?

Hoslund0821

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I've joined to find out what colour kitten I have!

Depending on natural lighting, she sometimes appears to be completely steal blue. View attachment 305703

BUT when I got her home, and started playing with her, and introducing her to the house, I noticed shes completely blue with darker blue markings. Like a tabby. Her face has a very muted cream around her nose, as well. Her mother was Calico and father was unknown.
She had on calico sibling, solid black and black and white. No others appeared to have the tabby markings. Trying to figure out what colour she'll be when shes older!
View attachment 305704
View attachment 305705
OMG SO CUTE!!!