New Kitten Question. Help?

Meghan Heather

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last week we rescued a kitten from a shady situation, and now she has diarrhea. She was supposed to be 8 weeks and dewormed. The vet said she was 11 weeks, fecal showed no worms, and she had fleas. We had him deworm again just to be safe, and she was treated for fleas. She is sweet as pie. I have no way of knowing what food she was on, so it probably isn't the same... We are giving her equal parts iams kitten, and trader joes wet. She seems to try to nurse. Could it be she wasn't weaned? Should we get kitten formula? Or just do water and pedialyte? She has lots of energy, loves to snuggle, and is drinking lots of water.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she eating solids at all? If she is, give her 24/7 access to dry kitten kibble and 2-3 cans of wet per day.
If she isn't, you can give her goats milk, but KMR is best. You could also try soaking some kibble with the goats milk.
Does she have teeth?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 11 weeks old she does not need formula.

What are you feeding her?

It may be her system adjusting to a diet change, or she may need meds from the vet for parasites which do not always show up in a fecal.

Please update. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meghan Heather

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.
Yes, she has all her teeth (baby teeth). We have not given her formula at all, I was more wondering if it might help her transition. We are giving her dry kitten food mixed with wet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can give her a dish of formula to lap up each day. It's still good for her.

If the diarrhea persists though, please speak to your vet as she may need a round of Albon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meghan Heather

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you- I brought her to the vet. They don't think it's parasites, but are deworming her again just to be sure. It's para something. She takes some every day for a week. They think it's diet changes, and they put her on ridiculously expensive prescription food. However- they only gave me seven small cans and said it was a week supply. She is only 2.6lbs, but I don't think it will be quite enough. If it isn't is there a comparable OTC wet food? It's chicken and vegetables. Or could I just feed her plain cooked chicken, or something? There must be a recipe.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like they have her on Panacur. This kills parasites, some of which can be worm-like.

I am going to hazard a guess that she will be okay diet-wise after the panacur treatment, and not need expensive food.

Check out chicken wet foods at a pet store, buy a few that are more budget-friendly, and see what she likes. :)