New Kitten Lethargic - Please Help!!

decro024

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I just adopted two new kittens. Diego, a 9 week old male, has been extremely active all the time. Eating, drinking, playing, sleeping, meowing for food, and more. We adopted another kitten with him, Tela, about 15 weeks old, who came with a Upper Respiratory Infection and is just getting over it. They sleep, play, eat, drink, and do a lot together.

Last night, Diego ate a very small piece of chicken that was cooked in our soup. There were onions used to make the soup, but he did not eat any raw or cooked onions, nor did he drink any broth. Just ate a small piece of chicken. The next morning, he is very lethargic, just keeps laying around all day wherever we put him, most of the time with his legs under his body staring at the floor. He has no interest in playing with us or Tela who he has played with everyday since adopted. He won't eat much dry food but will get up and come to us for wet food (which he eats). Does he have onion poisoning from just that small piece of chicken? Or could he be developing a URI that he got from Tela? He has no signs of any sinus congestion right now.

Thank you!!

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It takes more than just a little bit of onion to make them sick. URIs can easily be spread from one to the other. Let him eat all the soft he wants. Your biggest concern is that they eat and drink. I would call your vet just to ask if you should bring him in.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So long as he is eating and drinking normally there is no IMMEDIATE danger, but lethargy in a kitten should never be ignored. I agree, get in touch with a vet, and get him in if necessary. What ever is going on (and I really doubt that it was the chicken), the sooner you get it under control, the better. I know how difficult this will be right here on the weekend, AND at Christmas, but do try! And keep us posted!