New Kitten In The House!!

lexymuffin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten in the house about 8 months old named Rain. We adopted her when she was about 4 months old. She's a female and went through some abandonment when she was really little. It said she was great with other kittens on her adoption papers! We let her get acclamated in the apartment for about 4 months now and have just adopted another little female kitten (3 months old) We were told by the adoption lady that female cats shouldnt be brought together and they might hate each other. I really had a feeling about this new little kitten but am worried they would hate each other. Is 8-9 months a big different in age to a 3 month old? Please help! Also Rain rubs her head on everything and is a big scaredy cat when meeting new people, so I hope she doesn't feel too territorial.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost don't like when shelters put that a cat/kitten is great with other cats/kittens because it totally depends on the individual cat as well as the environment and many other things factored in. The thing is you don't know. You could have a cat who loves most cats but then that one comes around and they just don't get along. Or the other way around... maybe a cat hates many other cats but then one comes along and they get along really well. You just never know.

Most cats are nervous around new people and new things. Just go slow with everything. Use Feliway or calming collars if you are really worried. Go slow and see what happens.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I would say is get your new kitten spayed & I assume the older kitten is already spayed? If yes, I think/hope they will get along great! (Kittens as young as 4 months can go into heat.) How is Rain acting around the door to the room where the new kitten is staying? Any hissing or growling? If not I would let them see each each other briefly but not touch each other. If that goes well on both sides I would let them be together with supervision. If that goes well then after a couple of weeks or months I would let them be together without supervision. Given that she is a wee kitten helps a lot to help the older cat accept them. The age difference should be fine ... just note little kittens squeal/scream during play or when being gently taught manners/who is the boss. So no blood, yowling, fur flying = it was play/a dominance thing.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Before You Get A Kitten

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm a first time cat owner so I'm definitely not an expert but I don't know age plays as big of a role as we think. I think it really comes down to personalities. My cat Mika is 3 years old, she was introduced to a 8 month old. There was some hissing and swatting at first because the 8 month old was the queen bee before but now Mika and Luna (now 1 years old and still the queen bee) get along so well! They sleep together and cuddle.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t agree with the shelter especially when we are talking about kittens or young adult cats. Two females can most certainly not only get along but become best friends. Two kittens, female or male, are almost certain to become great playmates. So I wouldn’t worry about it, just do as slow an introduction as needed to give each time to adjust.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two females? Really? Females can be so territorial. I have always known neutered males to get along best. I always had a variety of cats and it was ALWAYS the (spayed) females who were territorial and bitched at each other. Females were the only cats I have ever had who sprayed.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
All seven of my cats plus several fosters have been female, each adopted individually as adults or kittens, and in 40 plus years only one cat who did not get along with the others. Everyone else slept, played and ate together without disagreements of any kind and definitely no spraying.