New Kitten Help!

Sgallo_95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

i'm a new kitten mom, i believe my hubby saved her from the teens that had found her "in the woods" and were trying to get rid of her... she seems to be about 4 to 5 weeks old but the chick he got her from said she was a couple months old.. they gave him a medicine syringe and wet clumpy shrimp and fish food!

i took her to the petco and a lovely lady gave us a few pointers for our newest addition, ive been feeding her KMR every 3-5 hours and she seems to be drinking about 1 tablespoon each feeding..more the longer we sleep. my hand is extremely cut from her clawing at it when i feed her which i get she does bc that's how she fed off mom but it really hurts after she eats now. i've tried adding her milk to the cat food but she won't take so i've only been bottle feeding her.

we didn't purchase her a litter box bc we thought we still had to stimulate her but she doesn't go when we try, apparently she only potties on me after she drinks her milk. Now i haven't seen her poop in the last 2 days that i've had her and her previous owner doesn't seem to be much help either but i think i've seen patches of blood on her blanket..not sure if that's from her trying to poop or her urine..but when she pees on me there's no blood.

she's constantly CONSTANTLY meowing unless she's asleep or someone is holding her but even when someone has her she goes claw crazy and starts going every where and when we set her down to roam around since she doesn't want to be asleep or eating she's meowing everywhere she goes so i'm kinda lost what exactly am i doing wrong? i really want to get this right bc she deserves to live ive gotten attached to her these past two days..

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're simulating her with a wet paper towel or tissue? But at 4-5 weeks of age she may be peeing and pooping on her own, and you can probably be transitioning her to a wet food soup, wet food mixed with water or kmr so she can lap it up. Please no cow's milk!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sgallo_95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i was using a wet warm cottonball..and i was using kmr to see if she'd want it w the food but nothing..:( i also checked her fur and i think i found a flee? it was golden yellow and there was a lot of little black things kinda like dried blood i just don't see a wound any where

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wear a glove when you feed her to avoid scratches.

She is still very very frightened, but she will settle down with your love. Her behavior may be rambunctious if she has lost her momma & siblings before they could teach her how to behave.

Try putting her in a litterbox. She will take to it naturally if she is old enough.

Maybe in a few days time you can give her a very quick bath, which will eliminate fleas. Put a towel on the bottom of the bathroom or kitchen sink. Make sure water is pleasantly warm. Put a TINY dab of dish detergent on her fur & rub all over, especially around her neck. Don't get it in her eyes. Then thoroughly rinse & dry her off as quickly as possible.

Kudos to you for caring.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sgallo_95 Sgallo_95

Arrange a towel over your lap and arm in such a way that she can knead the towel as she nurses her milk from the bottle. Also, trim her claws - just the tips - and do it regularly.

Do you know her weight? I can tell you how much to feed if so.

For her first litter pan you can use a disposable aluminum cake pan from a dollar store. Use non-clumping litter.

Put a drop or two of olive oil in each bottle. This will help her poop.

Flea comb her. The bloody black specks are flea dirt. A bath will help.

She will need worming at 8 weeks. If she continues to have blood she may need antibiotics and/or treatment for parasites.

She does not need to roam the house at this stage. She needs the safety and security of a small space such as a carrier at night and a stuffed toy to snuggle, unless she sleeps with you.

She's insecure and fearful now, so being with you as much as possible is good for her now.

She needs to eat through the night as well. 8 hours is too long to go at her age.

We would love to see her picture!

Thank you for saving her! :)

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can trim the tips of her nails. Also if you get a bag of kitten food soak it till it's soft then mash it and her formula so it's like a yogurt consistent then feed it to her. That will help her poop . And make her more full . I have a 4 week old kitten she eats 4 ml per feeding twice a day with kitten food .And the other feedings just formula all if this was told by our vet witch she has been to twice so far. I hope that helps

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also there belly should be nice and round .. Kittens do need to be dewormed it's only 5 dollars at the vet's office you don't even have to pay for visit just call them and tell them you need dewormer..

Sgallo_95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you all very much! everyone's tips have been very helpful i will take it all into consideration and try everything y'all have mentioned! beyond hopeful for this little doll my kiddos named her princess!

Attachments

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How could anyone have abandoned or try to hurt this little one (or any kitten /cat). I just don't get it (you mentioned your hubby saved her). Well done for helping her

Sgallo_95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you guys very much she has won over my heart! it hurts to even think about what she had to encounter, we kept bugging the chick he got her from and she claimed they found her in the woods.. :( i feel like he did a good job by bringing her home instead of ignoring the post she had made about getting rid of her..

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you guys very much she has won over my heart! it hurts to even think about what she had to encounter, we kept bugging the chick he got her from and she claimed they found her in the woods.. :( i feel like he did a good job by bringing her home instead of ignoring the post she had made about getting rid of her..
Who posted about getting rid of her? Not following you.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You can trim the tips of her nails. Also if you get a bag of kitten food soak it till it's soft then mash it and her formula so it's like a yogurt consistent then feed it to her. That will help her poop . And make her more full . I have a 4 week old kitten she eats 4 ml per feeding twice a day with kitten food .And the other feedings just formula all if this was told by our vet witch she has been to twice so far. I hope that helps
There is absolutely no harm in regular nail trims, I just want to add that you should never cut the pink part of the nail, this will cause heavy bleeding.

Princess is adorable! Thank you for rescuing her!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree! I mentioned tips only in Post #5. Excellent reminder! :)