New Kitten Growling, Hissing And Chasing Older Cat

EricKitkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've just got a four month old female kitten and been trying to gradually introduce her to our 14 year old male cat. However, whenever she sees him she hisses, growls and then chases him. He doesn't seem to know how to react and ends up just running away from her. She can be really quite aggressive towards him. I'm not sure what to do about this and at the moment am trying to keep them apart most of the time. Any advice about how to help them get along would really be appreciated.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you do a formal introduction process? How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

You said "just got" so I'm guessing the kitten still has move in anxiety. Not all kittens get this, but some that are introduced to a home all at once end up hiding for a week -- even if there is no big cat. When there is a big cat, being scared of it would be more normal, with growling and hissing at a big cat being fairly unusual/rare. I suspect that things will probably improve with time alone. But depending on how things are going, you could redo the introduction process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EricKitkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. We've had the kitten for nearly three weeks now and I had got to know her before she moved in with us as she was from a friend. She has settled in really well and doesn't seem anxious at all now. I let her gradually explore the house and have one room that she was in most of the time to start with . I work from home so I'm around with her most of the time which I think has helped her settle in. It seems she has decided the house is her territory and the older cat is so soft he is letting her chase him away.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

EricKitkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much, I will restart the introduction process, think they were introduced too fast. And thanks for the links, I'll have a good read and hopefully in time they will get along .