New Kitten But Mom Is Being Aggressive

Allipmc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my almost 9 month old Chessy had her kittens today, only one lived the other was still born. She did really well letting the kitten nurse and cleaning it but a few hours ago she started being agressive with it trying to bite it pounce on it and flipped it a couple of times in the air. I don’t feel this is normal but maybe I am mistaken. I know the mom will teach the kitten many life skills but this is mighty young. I ended up taking the kitten away from the Mom for a few moments to get her to settle down and we are doing supervised nursing right now, to see how it goes. Any suggestions anyone dealt with something like this I know she is mighty young herself as a mom, she ran out of the house one day went missing for 10 days (this is when she got pregnant) we are blessed to have her back. Just don’t want to do the wrong thing but I don’t want her eating it either. She has never been aggressive in any way. I have watched her grow since she was born, very loving very sweet cat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is too young to be a mother, and she should absolutely NOT treat her kitten like it’s a toy or a mouse. You did right to remove the kitten and to supervise nursing. The kitten needs to nurse every 2 hours. The kitten must also stay warm.

You must continue to supervise until mom settles down so that she does not harm the kitten.

If she does not settle down, you’ll need to hand raise the baby with kitten formula and a syringe.

Do not let your cat outside until she is spayed or she can get pregnant again right away.

Syringe Feeding

A Allipmc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allipmc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I put a heating pad under a blanket in a box for the kitten. Chess had a really difficult birth and I think she is stressed but yes she is also definitely too young also. I am praying she will stop the agressive behavior, I keep just loving on her and telling her she needs to take care of her baby. She is a really sweet cat never had one be so loving. Thanks for the response.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allipmc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:
Chessy started being more nurturing yesterday cleaning the kitten nursing her without being prompted to. Thank the Lord I was so concerned. Thank you for your help.