New Kitten Bullying Resident Cat

kittles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi There Everyone!
Three weeks ago, my husband and I adopted a 10 month old female kitten named Maui. We also have a 10 year old male cat named Iggy.

We kept them in separate rooms at first and gradually introduced them in order to give them the best chance at having a successful relationship. We are currently doing supervised visits with them for several hours a day, and things are going well for the most part.

Iggy seems to be very interested in Maui. He follows her around our apartment and watches her intensely (this might make her uncomfortable). They are able to be near each other, and sometimes they even touch noses, which I believe is a polite greeting. However, there are other times when Maui feels like Iggy is getting too close and she swats him in the face. It often comes out of nowhere. Oftentimes Iggy doesn’t respond - he just takes it. Other times he may swat back. This happens several times a day, but it hasn’t escalated.

Why is Maui okay some of the time but others times decides to swat at Iggy? Is this normal, and will it get better with time? It’s very upsetting watching our older cat get bullied.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's not being bullied he's being taught manners, that is what females do. A swat is telling him to back off. He will learn in time and everything will be well, females are usually not buddies with others like two males can be, they only just tolerate other females. It sounds entirely like a normal relationship to me, Iggy may try to jump on her too, so be ready for screaming and maybe some fur flying, males want to play and females usually don't. As long as there are no deep bites or scratches, everything is normal! It will get better when she gets more used to the household and gets more secure. Give Iggy some extra love right now, I'm sure he is confused why she won't play!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I so agree with di and bob di and bob , as I so often do! Your girl is telling Iggy what's what and who is who. Who ends up being alpha cat(or dog, for that matter) has nothing to do with size, and everything to do with attitude. I have a friend who has a wolf (yes, he's a behaviorist and permitted for her) and a cat, and the cat is DEFINITELY the alpha of the two!