New ish cat

boo36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here I need some advice. Just a bit of background about our cat. She previously lived with a neighbour on the next street. But by bit she would visit us sometimes having a little walk around the lounge all friendly wanting a fuss. We eventually found out who her owner was. We got onto her via fb as we were concerned they would be missing her. As it turns out they had her for 7 years when they got homed 2 dogs who would bother this poor cat. They told us if we wanted her we could as long as she was happy with us. So we slowly let her in she slept on the sofa bit by bit moved in. She was eating wet food no issues. The previous owner fed her biscuits with only odd wet food. We kept on with wet food. All was well. She had lived with us for a few months before we went away for a weekend. Our lovely neighbour looked after her. She was bit fussy only ate bits. We came home she was still a bit fussy for few days then ate normally. We went away again for another weekend and had the same issues. That was 2 months ago she is fussy with her wet food mainly licks the gravy. She will have some dry food but not a great deal. I'm unsure on what to do now. She is happy and plays OK loves to cuddle. Any advice before I decide to visit a vet. I'm sure she is trying it on but I'm worried.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, Even if the neighbor who looked after her was the original owner, I'm assuming she was fed dry kibble while you were away? The first time she came around to eating normally, but not this time.

I think a vet visit is in order, and next time you might want to utilize a pet sitting service so she is given the same food, has her own environment etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boo36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying. The previous owner lived on the next street. The neighbour that looked after her while we were away lives across the Rd from us. She is an experienced cat owner as she has 8 cats of her own. We kept her on wet food as at the time she moved in with us her previous owner fed her dry kibble. However we didn't know this at the time. I automatically fed her wet food as all our previous cats ate wet food. I wondered if it was a stress thing with her as she was eating fine before our 2 weekends away. Yes I agree I think it will turn out to be a vet visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boo36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here I need some advice. Just a bit of background about our cat. She previously lived with a neighbour on the next street. But by bit she would visit us sometimes having a little walk around the lounge all friendly wanting a fuss. We eventually found out who her owner was. We got onto her via fb as we were concerned they would be missing her. As it turns out they had her for 7 years when they got homed 2 dogs who would bother this poor cat. They told us if we wanted her we could as long as she was happy with us. So we slowly let her in she slept on the sofa bit by bit moved in. She was eating wet food no issues. The previous owner fed her biscuits with only odd wet food. We kept on with wet food. All was well. She had lived with us for a few months before we went away for a weekend. Our lovely neighbour looked after her. She was bit fussy only ate bits. We came home she was still a bit fussy for few days then ate normally. We went away again for another weekend and had the same issues. That was 2 months ago she is fussy with her wet food mainly licks the gravy. She will have some dry food but not a great deal. I'm unsure on what to do now. She is happy and plays OK loves to cuddle. Any advice before I decide to visit a vet. I'm sure she is trying it on but I'm worried.
Hi , just thought I'd let you know I found a way around my fussy girl eating or lack of. I feel she was playing on me also maybe a bit lazy. I now only feed her wet food twice a day and only small amounts and chopping the meat up finely so it mixes better in the gravy. I did try doing it in mixer but she still wouldn't eat it.
Anyway she's eating it all plus dry food and Asking for more then going back to it if she leaves a little bit. So much better, I feel she's eating enough definitely enjoying her food more. I found a different dry complete food she enjoys better. Thanks for all your advice