New Housemates.

Cupcakex13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently we were converted in our water system, and the plumbers used our crawl space and left the doors wide open. 3 cats have taken residence. Now, I have seen the same 2 cats prior to this but the crawl space has become their home.

I started feeding the 2 that are friendly because they are very skinny, and after an unsuccessful reunite but an uncanny look a like I noticed a third. One is calico, one is a gorgeous orange and black and the third is a very heavy set feral that wants nothing to do with me or my food. I am almost convinced they are related but the two that come around let me pet, pick up, jump in my car and walk in the house with the door open. Meow and demand their food first and last thing of the day (they have domesticated me!).

My next step is to get the two I can handle fixed, but the third is where I am stuck. It is feral or extremely scared of humans but why is it so chubby compared to the other two? Could it be pregnant? If I get a tnr place to handle it will they release it back to where it's comfortable with its colony? No one around here owns them, and they aren't scared of my dog. It is just a really odd mixture. The chubby one won't even come when food is placed. Any advice?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is possible that the third is pregnant or it could be a recent stray. If you can get a TNR to come out or take them into a spay/neuter clinic the standard is to release them back where they were found. The chubby one could just be that skittish of humans (or scared of the current situation if it was dumped recently) that it will take safety over food. My girl is a former feral and she will always choose safety over food. Something scared her in the kitchen a week ago and that is where her food dish is, I really wish I knew what scared her so bad. She has lost weight in her refusal to go into the kitchen and I am now feeding her in the bathroom.

I would encourage you to set up some cat boxes outside your home (or better bring them inside) and close off the under house access. I too have a raised foundation and it only takes one possum dying in the far reaches of the crawl space to learn to keep it firmly closed off.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would rent, borrow or buy a humane trap. It is the easiest and safest way to handle any feral or unknown stray cat. You can start by tying open the trap so it doesn't go off and just get the cat used to it. Start by feeding right outside the trap, then each day move it back a little further. Once he/she is eating out of the unset trap, you can then set the trap. Be sure the have an appointment or find a low cost spay/neuter clinic that does not require appointments for feral cats in traps. Most work by dropping the cat off in the morning, picking up in the afternoon and then you need to keep the cat in the trap overnight in a temperature controlled environment. This is usually a basement or garage. You can then release the cat the next day unless it was a pregnant female and she may need a few days to recover.

Thank you for helping this group. Getting them all spayed/neutered is definitely a must!