New foster mom very sneezy

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for reading! I took in a new foster, a pregnant mama cat, Molly. Molly came from a post I saw from someone begging for a foster home. When I picked her up, she was in a house with several other cats. One of the cats looked in bad shape but said she had an appointment at the vet tomorrow. The real sick one was eating and drinking fine but light green snot was just running right out of her nose. Molly sneezed the whole 2 hour car ride home. Her nostrils are kinda crusty and red. I have put her in the bathroom with the shower steaming the room up and wiped her face with a warm washcloth. The girl who gave her to me said she “poops everywhere” when she has wet food. She is scarfing down the dry food I provided to her. I have some powder lysine that I would like to give her but not sure how to administer. Do I take the chance with non dry food and give her canned? Should I get some pumpkin purée? Egg yolk? Anything easy on the tummy and nutritious?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks for reading! I took in a new foster, a pregnant mama cat, Molly. Molly came from a post I saw from someone begging for a foster home. When I picked her up, she was in a house with several other cats. One of the cats looked in bad shape but said she had an appointment at the vet tomorrow. The real sick one was eating and drinking fine but light green snot was just running right out of her nose. Molly sneezed the whole 2 hour car ride home. Her nostrils are kinda crusty and red. I have put her in the bathroom with the shower steaming the room up and wiped her face with a warm washcloth. The girl who gave her to me said she “poops everywhere” when she has wet food. She is scarfing down the dry food I provided to her. I have some powder lysine that I would like to give her but not sure how to administer. Do I take the chance with non dry food and give her canned? Should I get some pumpkin purée? Egg yolk? Anything easy on the tummy and nutritious?
You have apparently good instincts and good knowledge! its yes to all your suggestions; try them out...

I would add raw goats milk if you can get this, if not, say powdered goats milk, this made by Meyenberg is working and cheaper than KMR. KMR whould work too (powdered, not premade). GNC kmr based on goats milk is good.
Goats milk is mild food by itself, and raw goats milk has some potential soothing properties. Is sometimes used as a remedicum by itself.

some nice vitamine paste is good; not that it will help with diarrhea but will give her some extra strengh.

If her diarrhea is watery, she will need extra salts and water. Easiest with giving flavorless pedialyte for babies, as part of her water intake.
Otherwise you can make your own; HERE, take rice and lotsa of water. Salt this with minerale kitchen salt and overboil this rice, say twice the normal boiling lengh. And so you take the water thereof: its a good pedialyte for them with diarrhea, both cats and human children.

You can always begin with sprinkling some kitchen salt on her food.

ps. I just realized THIS is your new thread. Welcome back! Good you are in action again! Good both for you, your family - and the cats! :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I am very nervous about getting another mama kitty but I am hoping I have already weathered a bad storm and this one will be a little smoother sailing.
she has not even been here a day yet but her litter box habits have been okay so far. I am going to incorporate a small amount of goats milk with lysine and hope it doesn’t cause problems with diarrhea.
my kids are so in love with her already and she is loving all the attention and neck rubs. she is quarantined in her closet but when I’m in the room I open the door and let her explore the room. She mostly just wants pets and to be next to you. She’s so sweet!
These pics are before her warm towel treatment.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may need worming or metronidazole for intestinal infection, and separately, she may need antibiotics if she has green snot.

She’s going to need wet food. Can you find out the brand she was eating that gave her diarrhea and try a different brand? Also, try only chicken flavors - no fishy ones.

In the meantime, boiled chicken will give her extra protein. The lysine is an excellent supplement.

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She loved the goats milk but before she was done, headed straight for the litter box. She spent a lot of time in there digging around. Looked a lot looser than her previous stools.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think she may need a round of metronidazole. Goat’s milk and wet food should not normally cause diarrhea. Can you speak to the shelter you’re fostering for about her diarrhea?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She loved the goats milk but before she was done, headed straight for the litter box. She spent a lot of time in there digging around. Looked a lot looser than her previous stools.
That was a very quick reaction! If it is reaction on goats milk, its sooner allerghy than bad digestion.

My guess its no connection, the diarrhea bout was already on way...

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You’re probably right about it being non related. She came from a small private rescue that posted her picture because someone had took her in and needed help connecting to a foster. I called my local shelter today about possibly taking her into their foster program but I have not heard back. I also reached out to the rescue that shared the picture to see if they can help. If I see her getting worse I will take her to a vet on my own dime. I’ve got pumpkin purée on the way and I’m making the rice water now. Anything else I should give her over the weekend while I wait to hear from the shelters?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’re probably right about it being non related. She came from a small private rescue that posted her picture because someone had took her in and needed help connecting to a foster. I called my local shelter today about possibly taking her into their foster program but I have not heard back. I also reached out to the rescue that shared the picture to see if they can help. If I see her getting worse I will take her to a vet on my own dime. I’ve got pumpkin purée on the way and I’m making the rice water now. Anything else I should give her over the weekend while I wait to hear from the shelters?
IF she is that sensitive, a way to calm things down is just to give her water with glucose sugar... She wont grow nor thriwe on this, but she will survive on this a good while... And the digestion system may rest some.

In USA its difficult to find glucose sugar proper (dextrose). Most rescuers use white caro syrup or honey, this works almost as good.

But this overcooked rice does contains quite a lot of glucose sugar. So just to salt is some, and you have a very good solution, both for this and that.

I hope you can continue with this raw goats milk. After all, its often used for digestion problems in cats and cat animals.

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is manuka honey safe for cats? I give to my human children whenever they are sick.
she didn’t go for the pumpkin. 1 of my 2 permanent cats enjoyed it though! I am going to try mixing some wet food with the pumpkin and see how she does with that. The poop after the goats milk was messy and got outside the litter box. Since then her poops seem to be better so I’m nervous to try and give it to her again. I have to add that it was not raw. It’s from my grocery store, ultra homogenized. Should I make an effort to find a local goat farmer for some milk?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, try with raw if you can find it.
Homogonized is usually OK (even if not the same soothing potential). But I have met brands which were inferior. I saw once a longish debate among polish breedeers; is goats milk ok or not... Some said OK, some not OK... But after a while it become clear, all negativists used the same brand of homogonized goats milk...
Apparently its fully possible to destroy an otherwise excellent and healthy food...

I havent heard much about Manuka honey, but I have difficult to imagine it would be harmful for cats in small amounts. The reason why manuka honey is never used for cats, is prob its more costly than usual honey. Even common raw honey isnt that costly.

But, if you have several honeys to choose from, and you can get raw honey; ie from a local small scale producer, go for this.
Because such a honey contains some nice enzymes and stuff, not present in honey from the big factorier, where honey is heated up and bleded from many sources...

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I buy local raw honey and do have a big jar on hand. We have it in plenty around here. I live in Buffalo, NY which is near Niagara Falls right near the Canadian border.
What about raw cows milk? I have a farmer friend who says her cats drink it.
I bought the raw Manuka honey because I’ve read about it’s medicinal properties. it cost about 5x as much as the local stuff but a little goes a long way.
Any experience with colloidal silver? I have never tried but I hear good things about it.

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was being loved by my daughter and when she got off her lap there was a big snotty glob that was dark greenish in color. Could this be the mucus plug? Any guess as to when she will start labor? She went to the litter box after and then bathed herself. Looks clean back there now. Hoping it’s not poop that she just can’t hold onto.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That sounds like the mucus plug. Anytime now or next couple of days most likely.

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two gingers so far. 1st one delivered well. 2nd one about 15 minutes later. The second one is cleaned off, nursing, moving, but placenta not yet delivered. Mom is cuddling #1 and resting with her eyes closed now. It’s been about 20 minutes since #2 came. I can feel at least 1 more in her belly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Our site was down so it’s been a few days. How many did mom have? Is all well so far?

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m glad to see the site is back up!

Mama is doing so much better! I think she was malnourished and eating whatever she could find. Her poops are back to normal! I’ve been giving her a can of food mixed 50/50 with pumpkin and the lysine over 2 servings and she has been eating it all along with her dry kitten chow.

I gave her 2 doses of the flea control pills and I haven’t seen any of those since. Although I am always on the lookout!

Her sneezing has much improved but still lingering a bit.

she is a very attentive mom to her 4 kittens. I would love to play to guess the gender game if we could. I think they are all boys?!?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m no good at telling gender at this little stage, but so glad to hear all is well. 😊