New Feral Cat Owners! Need Support!

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement! If they had a really, really tall one it might work, but we have our kitchen and dining area gated with the swing doors to keep our dogs contained when we're not home. Our cats jump over the gates like they aren't even there!
I think it's 37-38" tall. NO ONE has jumped it..from the fattest to the fittest. The 8 month old can squeeze through the bars, as can a couple of the thinner adult residents, but they have to really try. The 14# polydactyl cant; get through.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spsalmon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lucy10.jpg Lucy8.jpg
HUGE breakthrough today! I went down to sit with Lucy today with my computer. I have been sitting right up next to the crate for the last few days. I put my hand on the counter next to the crate as I have also done for the last couple of days. She started moving around in her box and stretching out her front legs toward me. So I slowly moved my fingers right onto the crate and she put her paws on my fingers! We just sat there for at least 2 minutes - I kept doing the slow blink but otherwise didn't move. Was half anticipating those little claws coming out, but they didn't. Then there was a noise upstairs and she moved back and started hissing - probably thought "what the heck was I doing?" But she settled back down and seemed very relaxed. Was rolling on her back and stretching but wouldn't come out of the box. She still hasn't come out of the box, but today was just incredible and unexpected. We're bringing upstairs to the safe room tomorrow. I thought about waiting another week or so because of this great progress and I don't want to set her back, but I need to have her in her box to bring her upstairs. The crate is very unwieldy and large and I don't think we could get her upstairs in it without her sliding all over the place. I think she's close to coming out of the box and I wouldn't want to have to try to get her back in it to move her. Was able to take some pictures too!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a pretty girl. :catlove:
Thanks for the update. Let us know how the move to upstairs goes.