New Cat Won’t Relax Around Me

Jnron5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I got a 2yr old cat from the shelter about 2 months ago. The first week or so she spent under my bed refusing to eat or poop until I moved her and all her things to the bathroom where she transformed into a normal functioning cat. Afterwards I released her into the living room where she would occasionally explore if it was quiet. When I’m in the bathroom with her she’s super loving and cuddly and just wants to sleep in my lap. But once in the living room, she freezes if I look in her direction and retreats under the couch or back to the bathroom if I move towards her. I’ve moved her bed(which she won’t use), food and toys to the living room to try to attract her more but she just refuses to leave the bathroom. Any tips to helps her calm down more around me outside of the bathroom?

P.S. About a month in I tripped over her litter box while she was in it, and a week ago I accidentally stepped on her tail. I figure these events were pretty traumatic and contributes to the fearfulness, but currently she’s still in love with me while in the bathroom but scared of me outside.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try some feliway. And maybe try feeding her in a different part of tje house so she associates that with something good

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi J Jnron5 :hithere: Welcome to TCS :welcomesign:

Your girl's behaviour is pretty typical of shy or nervous kitties. It sounds like she's just pretty unsure of herself outside of the bathroom (which has become her 'safe' room). The best thing you can do is stay calm, relaxed and consistent with her, and let her come to you when she's ready. It's great that the two of you are so bonded when she's in her safe room. This will translate into the rest of the house in time...she's just not quite ready yet. Interactive playtime is a great tool for building her confidence, and it's a great way to bond, too :)
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

As for the accidents - they happen to the best of us (cats are masters at getting under our feet :rolleyes:), and she clearly isn't traumatised by them. The longer you have her and the better you get to know each other, the less likely you'll be to have these accidents. She'll get to know your patterns better, and you'll know when she's most likely to get under your feet.