New Cat Wont Leave From Under The Bed

AlQaza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a new cat, roughly a year old and when I let her out of the cage in my house for the first time she ran underneath my bed; i've gained her trust and she's very friendly aswell; scared of everything she sees including the TV and the ceiling fan I am afraid she will starve herself etc so I left the food and water & litterbox under the bed which she is using but forces herself not to use reguardless if its not.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long have you had her? What you are doing is fine for the VERY short term, but sooner or later, she needs to get out and about. Here's what I'm thinking...when she has had a few days of under the bed, get her out and block the bed off so she can't get under it. Make sure she has a comfy place to sleep, and her box and food and water nearby, but keep her in your room until she is confident in there. Then leave the door opened a crack so she can peek out, and even venture out if she is up to it. Let her take her time. Here are a few articles that might help you with her:

16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?

When you have a moment, go here New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your kitty to our community! We'd love pictures when she feels safe enough for you to get them (what is her name, btw?)! Welcome to TCS!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:

Has she come out from under the bed yet?

It's perfectly normal for a new cat to hide under the bed for the first wee while. Some cats can take days or even weeks to settle and come out & about. In my experience though, most stay hidden for no longer than overnight.

If she's scared of the fan, I suggest that it's not turned on until she comes out. All the different sights, sounds, and smells may be overwhelming.

She will probably be off her food too until she feels safe and at home. Just keep offering a variety of tasty morsels.

Try to spend as much time as you can around where she's hidden so that she gets used to you. Keep checking on her and talk to her whilst you're doing so. Hearing your calm, soothing voice should make her feel more at ease.

:salam:

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my new cat hid under the bed, I kept the litter box in it's regular position in another room and the food in the kitchen. She would come out at night when I was asleep to eat (not much but something), but she would use the box during the day. My vet told me that I should try to 'catch' her outside the bedroom and then close all the bedroom doors.

She then 'hid' in the living room (behind a table that has a covering to the floor), but it was far easier for me to interact with her there and eventually lure her out with treats. I also put a used PJ top next to the treat dish, so that she'd associate my scent with the treats.

It took her another week or so (just over two weeks total), but bit by bit, she emerged. When she came close to my chair, I'd hang my arm down so that she could sniff it. Right after that, she indicated she wanted me to use the hand to pet her--and now she's the biggest love bug in the world.

When they're hiding, you think it will be permanent, but it's a natural fear response, and if you just exude as much love as possible, they'll respond.