New Cat Suddenly Swatting At Resident Cat

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been about 1.5 weeks since I introduced them, so far they have been eating from food bowls placed next to each other, and went as far as sniffing faces/butts. However, today the new cat has started swatting at the old one, and the old one reacts by just running away.

PS: I've to add that both cats' dispositions seem pretty docile, initial meetings had no fights either, they were just extremely avoidant. The old cat doesn't retaliate to the swats either as she just runs, and the new one doesn't chase.

Why the sudden change, and is this normal behaviour?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I expect that this is perfectly normal, and since there is no real aggression, perfectly acceptible. It sounds like the pecking order is being established. There is going to be a certain amount of this whenever two cats begin to share space. They have to know who will be dominant. And the resident cat may or may not be, since these things depend on cattitude more than size or longevity!

LOL, my ex-roommate recently introduced a 5 month old kitten to a household that includes 4 adult cats and a wolf hybrid (yes, she is licensed and very experienced). GUESS WHO is "top cat," even shoving Dakota's (wolf dog) muzzle out of her food dish to grab a bite?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds normal to me. Cats need to learn how to behave around each other through communication and learn boundaries. The way they communicate is by swatting, hissing, growling, screaming even, or "attacking" as long as there is no bloodshed they NEED TO DO THIS. If you punish them or try to stop them you will end up with confused neurotic cats.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I think some cats need to decide on a proper course of action when the introduction begins, and so may act more docile for a little while until the decision is reached. We thought Gohan and Olive got along swimmingly for a few weeks, but he takes a super long time to decide anything. He has not deemed that she must stay out of his territory and we have had some epic chases in the last few months.

But it's getting better, so don't look at it as a step back but an evolution.