New Cat, Old Cat Intro Is Not Going Well

DawsonsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi-

I've been lurking around looking at similar threads but wanted to post and get something out there for advice.

We have a 5 year old tortie named Dawson. Dawson came to live with us on 12/22/17. She was my brother's cat and he passed away. He had her since she was little, and funny story about her, she and her sister were found in the mountains of NM at 3 weeks old, being raised by a chicken (!), before being saved by my brother's friend, who bottle fed her until she was weaned. Dawson has been an only cat, pretty spoiled and has not spent much time around other people or animals. She's not a lap cat, not super affectionate but is also not anti-social, she loves being around us and often lays nearby in whatever room we are in. She's adjusted well to our home, has the run of the house and has never exhibited any bad behavior, except when new people come over. She hisses and kind of lurks around, then she eventually warms up.

On 7/7/18, we adopted a shelter cat, a 7 month old tabby we named Stevie. Stevie and her 2 litter mates were found on the street and someone attempted to raise them but it was too much, so they were taken to a shelter. Stevie was the last of her litter mates to be adopted, she was very, very shy, and had been in the shelter since 4/18. The behaviorist from the shelter told me that they worked really hard with Stevie but that she needed a family and they felt she would do well with a confident older cat to show her the ropes.

Part of the reason that we adopted Stevie is that my brother had spent a lot of time at home so Dawson was never really alone. Both my husband and I work, so Dawson was left alone for most of the day, and seemed clingy when we got hone, always following us around. Also, my brother had requested donations in his memory be made to a no kill shelter and I wanted to honor his memory by doing something to help an animal.

We set up a special room for Stevie in a spare bedroom with the door shut. Stevie did not interact with us the entire first 3 weeks, she spent much of the time under the bed or a chair. We spent time in there, quietly sitting or listening to music and my husband even started sleeping int he room. I know she came out at night because her toys were all moved around, she had a good appetite and used her litter box. She has now started interacting with us more, playing with her wand toys and is now super affectionate with us both, crawling all over us and wanting to play.

We have also put Dawson in the Jack and Jill bedrooms for the night (she likes one of the rooms because she likes to sit/sleep on the window seat) and opened the door to let Stevie out to roam the house at night. We know she actually leaves the room because toys outside the room are moved and she's eaten the treats I put out of the room. She always ends up back in "her" room in the morning.

Dawson was very curious about what was going on in the room so we stacked 3 baby gates so they could see each other. We also put Dawson's food outside of the gates and Stevie's right on the inside (open feeding). Stevie would see Dawson and hiss/growl and run under the chair and Dawson basically lurked outside, staring in most of the time but didn't seem too upset about things so we let her in the room a few times, watching them both closely. That seemed to go well for a while, Stevie would hide and come out from time to time and Dawson would watch her, flicking her tail.

One day Dawson went for Stevie, pounced and hissed, and Stevie went for the chair where she stayed until we got Dawson out. We let it go a few days and tried again. Same thing happened. We try to play with them or encourage them with treats which works to a point, then Dawson always goes at Stevie. When this happens, Dawson gets a squirt from the water bottle and she stops. Then she just lounges in the room or rolls over on her back and looks generally happy until we shoo her out. The difference now, is that Stevie doesn't take it anymore and is defending herself, she most recently swatted at Dawson while she was sitting in the tree and Dawson seemed like she was trying to play nice.

At this point, we haven't done anymore supervised visitation and Dawson sits outside the door long periods of time, looking in the room, occasionally climbing the gates to try to get in.

Now we are doing scheduled feeding across from each other. When they see each other, Dawson lunges and Stevie hisses and neither of them eat. Or one of them is fine and tries to eat and the other one creates a stink. We put the food up and hope they will get hungry enough to figure it out. We still let Stevie out at night from time to time, to get her scent in the house and to make her braver and more comfortable.

We give Dawson just as much attention as she used to get, maybe more.

We just purchased Feliway diffusers for the hallway (we already had one in the bedroom) and other rooms in the house in an attempt to help.

We love both of the girls so much, they are such sweethearts and we understand that they might not love each other. I think they are now both defending "their" territory, neither one of them has been really socialized much to people or other animals and it really hasn't been too long at all since we brought Stevie home but I feel like Dawson is getting kind of withdrawn and my husband and I are anxious and I feel like I've ruined Dawson's life. I also worry that now they have formed such negative attachments to each other with all the hissing/growling etc that they won't be able to get past it.

I was hoping I could get some advice about what we could do better, what we did wrong, or anything to help mitigate this situation besides just allowing time.

Dawson, Stevie and my husband and I thank you in advance. I've attached pics so you can take a look at our girls :)
Dawson 2.jpg Dawson 3.jpg Dawson.jpg Stevie 2.jpg Stevie 3.jpg Stevie.jpg

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are both cats a little aggressive towards each other? How does Dawson act outside Stevie's closed door? Does she stalk it or kind of ignore it?

I would keep feeding on either side of the door and once both cats are kind of relaxed do the same thing with the baby gates in place but maybe put the food further away for both cats.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they are both such beautiful cats. You have done really well so far with the introductions, taking it slow. It's time to do some scent swapping.

I would recommend grabbing a few old shirts or sweaters, and each wearing them for a few days, get your own scents firmly on the fabric. Also, put a couple of fresh bits in each cat's territory. Put a couple in each (yours and theirs) in their areas, where they like to sleep. Then after a few days, swap all the fabrics around so that each cat has one with your scent, one with a mixed scent and one with only their scent still in it. The cats will explore the scents on each piece. Following this, swap back some so that each cat has a piece with mixed their scent and the other cat's scent on it.

Keep doing this for a couple weeks, then after this you might be in a position to do a space swap for 10 to 15 mins at a time.

Keep up your feeding routine, and the other stuff you have been doing so far, every little helps.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
First, the adoption stories for both are wonderful, and I think it's great that you adopted Stevie! And Dawson is just gorgeous! I have a soft spot for torties!

It's still pretty early in "cat integration" timelines ... it's often months for two adult cats to get along. You sound like you are doing a great integration, following proper steps. My suggestion would be to stop using the water bottle. Stevie and Dawson need to understand each other in cat terms, and that means hissing, growling, swatting and chasing. As long as there is no blood, flying fur, and both cats are using the litter box, eating, drinking and not hiding then the interactions are a necessary step in eventual peace.

At times you do need to separate them, I understand. Instead of using a spray bottle, try using large pieces of cardboard or towels to separate/ herd them away from a fight.

We are integrating a 3-year old stray, Olive, into a house with a 7-yr old (Gohan) and a 10-yr old tabby (Trin). Trin acted fairly normal, a lot of swatting and hissing and some chasing. Eventually they came to an understanding, although they still whack each other in the face daily. Gohan was our problem child. He became very territorial and would chase Olive back to her safe room anytime she poked her head out. Eventually, he started only chasing 90% of the time, and it slowly decreased until he rarely chases at all. But it still took more than 7 months before everyone could be in the same room without a lot of tension and angst.

I know you feel that Dawson's life is ruined, and she is becoming withdrawn. I am guessing this is a phase. Once Olive started exploring more, Gohan kind of "moved" to the office in the top floor, and stopped going into the safe room entirely as if there was a force field at the door (our rec room basement where we spend a lot of time). We felt really bad, but as the integration got better and better, he started re-exploring his old territory and he started acting more like himself.

Change is so hard on the cats, but eventually it is worth it. Try to let them work some of this out, as long as no one is going for blood. Go only as fast as the most reluctant cat. If they are lunging at the baby gate, keep visits supervised. You are not ruining their lives, and even if they don't become friends hopefully they will eventually learn to share the space.

Finally, don't forget to take some breaks from cat integrations, and try and destress. They can pick up our angst easily, and this doesn't help. Also, cat integrations are a marathon, not a sprint, and you need some rest and relaxation so you can come back fresh. Let us know how it's going, and feel free to come back with more questions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DawsonsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dawson just chills outside the door when it's closed, she sits by the wall opposite the door and seems really relaxed.

When the door is open and the gates are up, sometimes she stalks her, sitting right by the gate, sometimes she ignores it, no rhyme or reason.

It's never consistent with who starts it. We put both bowls out at the same time on opposite sides of the gate. Sometimes Stevie is eating and Dawson just stares her down. Sometimes Dawson is just eating and Stevie hisses and hides. Neither of them have ever eaten at the same time

The crazy thing is that they have co existed in the same room perfectly fine for 30 mins or so and have eaten treats 2 feet away from each other, Dawson has even rolled around and laid on her back, acting happy. We always try to cut these short because we are worried of another spat, Dawson has never gotten Stevie that I have seen when she's lunged but Stevie swatted her good once.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DawsonsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the replies. I do feel better now. We’ll try the scent swapping, stop the water bottle and work on keeping our patience high and stress level low. This site is a life saver and so helpful.