New cat mom, loose stool

Newcatfostermama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I picked up a foster cat the day she was brought in to the shelter on April 24th and she was very pregnant. Since we brought her home she had loose stool, which since she was brought in as a stray who knows what she was eating and the internet said it was normal with a change in diet so I thought no big deal. The shelter gave us Iams kitten food. She had 6 kittens on April 30th and ate all of the placenta. Her loose stool has continued since the day we brought her home so I looked at the food the shelter gave us and it had a lot of filler in it so I bought Hill's science diet grain free kitten food and started introducing that 2 days ago (mixing a little bit into her normal food) and she has had diarrhea the past two days. Otherwise she is acting normal, exploring and jumping up on things. This is the first time I've had a cat and googling it seems like loose stool is normal with food changes but I just wanted a second opinion and to see if there was anything I could do to help settle her stomach?

Another note, the first week and a half we brought her home she was given a small amount of deli turkey and a few bites of leftover steak (small bites) a few times and with the loose stool I told my family to stop giving her any additional food (but I'm not sure if my dad has tried to sneak some to her because he insists "a little bit won't hurt" ... )

Also, right around the time she had given birth there was a small amount of blood in the stool.

Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she may need deworming and/or antibiotics for a possible intestinal bacterial infection. A round of metronidazole will usually cure it.

In the meantime, is she getting any wet cat food? She needs it while nursing, and you can mix the powder from a probiotic capsule into her food. It will help the flora in her gut.

As for people food, cats usually love boiled chicken. Use only salt, no other spices. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Newcatfostermama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding!

She has been getting some wet food as well a few times a week as recommended by the shelter.