New Cat Meowing

Gntrombino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I had cats growing up my whole life and just adopted one of my own...so even though I am very familiar with cats and their care, this is my first time being directly responsible for one. My 6m old orange tabby came home on Tuesday and was immediately super comfortable and bonded with us ..but the last 2 days he will NOT STOP following me around and meowing. He is healthy, fed, clean litter box, toys, etc...but he is driving me insane. He will not leave my side and he just talks and talks and talks.. they aren't long howling meows but more like regular meows. Is it likely he is just getting adjusted and this will stop??

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know he is new to the house, but some cats adjust really quick, and his affection and following you around seems to indicate that he isn't stressed about coming to live with you. I mean, cats are all different, perhaps this is an unusual way of showing stress or looking for lost friends from whatever his prior situation was. Maybe? And some cats are more talkative than others, so maybe some of that too, but to me it sounds like he is bored, and if so, that isn't likely to resolve on its own. Fighting cat boredom is not really my area of knowledge, I cheat by letting my cats be indoor/outdoor, so I'll leave you to the experts. That said, the experts will want to know how much your playing with the cat and how, and what his history is. Was he an only pet? Did he grow up with kids in the house? What is your home situation now?

Good luck.

Last edited:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried to re-direct him with a toy when he starts meowing? If his prior living situation before you adopted him involved him having a companion he may be searching for his friend.

Have you tried giving him extra food when he is meowing? If he was a stray he could be meowing for food. Sometimes a former stray can take time to realize they will always have food. I do not know much about the background of two of my cats that were adopted from a rescue. My Apollo will meow his head off if he can see an empty spot in his bowl. The bowl can be full but he lets me know if there are an empty spots. I shake his bowl if it is full to cover the empty spot. He has lived with me for 4 years. He also has another meow that sounds like I am being cursed at if I do not fix his food bowl fast enough.

Have you tried getting down on the floor and just talking to him in a very calm voice? Sometimes this helps. I did this with my Sonny when I adopted him in 2010. For some reason me being on the floor talking to him helped calm him down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gntrombino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I don't know much about his history since I adopted him from a shelter and they got him from another overcrowded shelter... but he's only 6 months so he is a baby. He is an only pet. My boyfriend and I do work during the day so he is left home alone during that time... with no shortage of toys! I know he sleeps during the day because he emerges from under the bed stretching when I get home. When we ARE home he is definitely very loved on and played with...even then he is chatty though and will let out little meows as we pet him or play with him. I'm trying to give it some time since he is still so new and such a baby... I'm hoping he grows/adjusts out of it! I don't mind a vocal cat but this is nonstop!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good to know he's a boy, for sure. ;)

Does he meow in answer to you talking to him? Or just meowing, as he follows you around? I wonder if he has any Siamese in him. They're talkative cats.

Here's a TCS article on Cat Sounds - Feline Vocal Communication that you might be interesting.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say he most likely has Siamese in him somewhere, they chatter a lot. He is lonely and scared from all the changes. I agree with the above, make sure he is getting all he wants to eat, he is still growing, mine won't be quiet until they are full. I truly think in a month he will quiet down, as soon as he gets completely comfortable, and knows all this wonderful life he is getting now won't go away. If you get him a another boy to pal around with, he wouldn't focus on you so much! :biggrin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gntrombino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone!!! Last night I noticed blood on the carpet and it was coming from his neuter site... he was he over at the shelter a few days post surgery because he wasn't healing well so I wonder if he may be in a bit of pain . I've already notified the shelter and they are passing it on to their medical staff who will advise. I keep dry food out for him and feed him wet food 2x a day but will maybe try feeding him more to see if that helps!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, poor boy. Hope the shelter's medical staff get back to you with advice.