New cat has undereye issue?

Caaarrrrrllll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About a week ago, I adopted a new cat about 4 months old. He seemed very healthy. But when I brought him home I started noticing his eyes particularly his left one would ooze a bit. I made an appointment for next week for a basic check up and hopefully check if there's anything wrong with his eye. (I used to have a cat with a tear duct problem so she had watery eyes all the time).

But this morning I noticed the area below his eye near his nose, where is usually is a bit wet, is bloody like the skin was severely irritated. Has this happened to anyones cat a d can I wait til my appt next week or should I try to take him as soon as possible?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would suggest to you that it is bothering him and he is scratching that area raw. At a minimum, if you can, send pics of it to your vet and ask what they think. Hopefully, they can get your appointment rescheduled to a much closer time - or they may just tell you to bring him in now.

If they still think you can wait, ask them what OTC meds you could apply to help. You are going to have to keep a close eye on him to see if he is in fact scratching at it, and stop him as much as possible.

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
C Caaarrrrrllll
owie!

I'd suggest applying Bacitracin a bunch of times a day.
{My doctor says Neosporin can actually irritate the skin, making the problem worse. IDK, but I switched brands.}

Ointment will keep the sore from crusting over so the wound can heal from it's deepest point out. It should also help it from getting itchy so he won't feel the need to scratch at it.

Echoing FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's vet recommendations.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It might help if you wipe the oozing gunk from his eye daily with a warm damp cloth. That way maybe he won't try to wipe it himself and cause more harm. if he'll letyou, you can also try to clean that raw area with a warm water and saline solution, just to keep it from getting infected. And yes, you could try putting either Neosporin (plain, no pain killers or anything else in it), or Bacitracin on it, but very lightly as you don't want him to wipe at it and get it in his eye.

I agree that sending a picture to your Vet is a good idea. They might make some suggestions for it until he can be seen.