New Cat Coughing Now..

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In July, we had to put Sally down because she had cancer. Last weekend, we adopted a one year old and she's adjusted well as has my 17yo, Lucy. Tonight, I heard a cat coughing HARD and jumped out of bed to go investigate. I thought it was Lucy because both Sally and Lu had/have an explained cough. It's been ongoing since maybe 2013.

Lucy doesn't do it nearly as often. It's mostly after she is finished vomiting (she eats grass..LOL). Our vet simply couldn't figure it out what was doing this. Chest X-rays clear. She suggested that Sally is more allergic as she had that "allergy looking face". Sally went on prednisone and did pretty well.

Tonight, it was Mandy June (the new cat). And it was a REALLY hard cough (like Sally had) versus the softer, chesty/airy cough. This is not a furball cough at all. She is a year old and has been with us for one week now.

I'm kind of concerned now. I have to believe, at this point, there is something environmental going on in this house. When the coughing started years ago, we lived in a different home but I have to believe it's something we are doing but can't figure it out. Changing litter brands/types have t helped, historically. Out vents look clear, filter on furnace gets changed....I am at a loss and so nerved up over this.
Has anyone else experienced multiple cats with a chronic cough (not furball coughing/vomiting)? Any ideas what could cause this from an environment standpoint? Clearly, it's us doing something or not doing something....third cat with the problem now:(

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it was a one time cough with the new cat, I wouldn't be too concerned. It might have just been a random one time thing. Maybe something suddently irritated the cat .Just keep an eye on the cat.

Pollen, air fresheners and other scented things, VOCs emitted from carpets and furniture, scented laundry detergent and household cleaners, etc can all be sources of environmental allergies. If you open the windows, fresh air can bring pollen and allergens inside. They can also stick to your clothes and you bring them inside the home. Having the HVAC system inspected and the vents cleaned out wouldn't be a bad idea. You might not see any visible dirty / gunk but they can be microscopic and just blow around the home as the HVAC is used.

A hard cough could indicate asthma especially if the cat is crouched low to the ground and stretches the neck out while coughing. That is more serious and needs treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it was a one time cough with the new cat, I wouldn't be too concerned. It might have just been a random one time thing. Maybe something suddently irritated the cat .Just keep an eye on the cat.

Pollen, air fresheners and other scented things, VOCs emitted from carpets and furniture, scented laundry detergent and household cleaners, etc can all be sources of environmental allergies. If you open the windows, fresh air can bring pollen and allergens inside. They can also stick to your clothes and you bring them inside the home. Having the HVAC system inspected and the vents cleaned out wouldn't be a bad idea. You might not see any visible dirty / gunk but they can be microscopic and just blow around the home as the HVAC is used.

A hard cough could indicate asthma especially if the cat is crouched low to the ground and stretches the neck out while coughing. That is more serious and needs treatment.
What's weird is that all three cats have done this. Up until 2012, I have never had a cat that did this. I've had cats since I was 12. We were able to get a vet appointment on the 3rd (they are so hard to get into nowadays!). I'm praying it's nothing. I agree with you, though...the HVAC needs to be cleaned. We have found that winter is the biggest time for coughing (when everything is shut up) and we have had the central air on for almost a full week (it's been hot here!). I've also suggest cleaning carpets and upholstery. Thanks for your help!