New cat and resident cat co-living question

jnorris75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

We rescued a 1 year old female cat 2 months ago (Willow), then 5 weeks ago rescued another 1 year old female cat (Olivia) So whilst I call Willow RC, its only by a few weeks.

Olivia was VERY scared, and hid literally for 2 weeks in shelves in the safe room, she is much happier now, will come to me for strokes, roll over, follow me around the house etc. Whereas Willow will bat your hand away if you try to stroke her more than 2 times.

Roll forward to now, and she is out and about the house, having been through the scent swapping, meeting through a mesh door etc etc.

Willow isn't very keen on Olivia at all, Olivia seems totally fine, ignores her most of the time and carries on about her day, cleaning, eating etc. But Willow basically death stares Olivia whenever they are together in the same space. I'm having to keep them apart most of the time because I can't constantly watch them. Olivia was spayed a week ago, so I don't want any injuries!!

They will touch noses, then Willow tends to back up and hisses. Olivia just turns and walks off to do something else.

Any tips on how to help would be great. I have some Happy Cat Feliway plug ins in, but as the house is pretty big, i'm not sure they are even working.

See photo for a laugh.... Olivia just looking out the window, Willow giving her standard glare.

Thanks,

Julie

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jnorris75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Btw - that photo is not the norm... they wouldnt normally sit on the same windowsill.... it was a one off in my office when I happened to have my phone.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me, since they were only introduced a month and a half ago, it sounds really good they can be in the same room without attacking each other! If all you are getting is hissing, growling, and/or swatting, that is all perfectly normal! I always pray there won't be deep bites and blood!
Introductions really usually take months to get through, not weeks. I had one multiple cat introduction that took a year. Willow is on high alert and upset, thus teh not wanting to be petted,m or messed with. This will all fade in time, they WILL form a family unit. Olivia just came home smelling like the dreaded vet too, that didn't help, but thank goodness it is done and over. To me, just keep doing as you are doing. Females are VERY territorial and usally take longer to bond. but right now you are ahead of the game. Don't ever try to force them together, or upset them by changing routines. They will get there......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jnorris75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!! I think I was expecting some miracles.....

Olivia is just like that enthusiastic friend saying 'I just want to be with you Willow' and Willow is like 'get lost'.

Do you think I should keep them separated still some of the time, or just let them get on with it? I would have to seperate them at night or I wouldn't sleep :lol:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try for daytime togetherness. Maybe separate them if you leave. Have a stiff piece of cardboard handy just in case, to stick it between them if they do start tussling. As long as Olivia keeps walking off and basically ignoring Willow, that si what you want. Willow just needs more time.......