New cat always hungry

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our new cat, Tea, always seems starving. He goes ballistic when I open the cans to feed them, and gobbles his food down in no time...and then moves over to try to eat the other cats food, so I have to lock him in the bathroom until they’re done. He is under a year old but we aren’t sure by how much exactly. He is currently getting 9oz a day....same as the other two who are 18 months old.
Should I increase for him? Calorie wise it works out to be about 250 calories.
I’m positive this guy could eat an entire 5.5oz can if I put that down for him.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was he a former stray or feral? Those types of cats are always food insecure so they gobble food down and are always hungry.

Can you feed more food? 20 to 25 calories per pound of body weight is typically suggested but some cats may need a little more to satisfy their needs :dunno: Maybe go up to 275 calories to start and monitor weight.

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My new kitten is the same way. I have been letting him free graze on dry food for a while, and giving him wet food too, just so he knows his food won’t go away. I know there are recommended amounts to give a cat, but I could feel his ribs when I first got him. I think since he’s a growing boy he wasn’t getting enough food even with the recommended amount. He’s filling out more now. I plan to lessen the amount of dry food he gets, but l have always let my cats free graze through the day because my work schedule varies and I can’t guarantee I can feed them at the same time every day. I’ve had him for less than a month. I don’t know if this will help you though since you have multiple cat home.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest you do as adventuregirl adventuregirl does. Your cat is still a kitten. Most cats don't reach adulthood until 12 month. Some cats, such as Maine Coons keep growing for two or three years.

Kitten have a higher caloric and protein requirement than adult cats. They are growing and have a higher activity level than adult cats. First, they should be fed the kitten form of kibble and wet, because they have a higher caloric and protein content.

There is a rule of thumb for feeding kittens: If there are no leftovers, you are not feeding your kitten enough.