Neutered 2y old cat, which healthy not extremely expensive dry food would you recommend?(UK)

claudya_87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

So as the title says, I’m looking into buying some dry food for my neutered cutie who became a little chunkier these days.

I’m no expert in cat food and most of the reviews I find are brands that I cannot buy in the UK or are extremely expensive.

Before I got my boy neutered, I used to give him Purina One & Applaws/ Scrumbles (after the recall) & Applaws/Thrive for wet food.

Now I’m clueless to choose what is best for him. For the past year I keep trying to find the perfect food which isn’t too expensive either. Most of them have wheat, corn and other ingredients which aren’t really recommended. I usually buy two types of dry food and some fish based wet food.

I have tried :

Almo Nature sterilised Salmon (dry)
Bozita sterilised chicken (dry)
CATZ Fine Food mixed trial (wet)
GranataPet Salmon&Turkey / Tuna&Duck (wet)
Almo Nature Tuna & Chicken (wet)

He’s currently eating/trying:

Bozita sterilised reindeer (dry)
Almo Nature Tuna / Chicken&Shrimp (wet)

I’ve also ordered 4kg of Wellness CORE Chicken & Turkey as it was on offer on Amazon. It will probably arrive later on today.

What do you guys feed your neutered cats?
1C8EE8BA-BF99-4435-A0FD-4BD648841E88.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Handsome boy!

If you're worried about weight gain I would suggest cutting out the dry altogether and just feeding him wet. Dry food tends to be high in carbs and cats don't need that. They're better off on a high protein diet. It's best not to feed exclusively fish based food, especially to male cats, as this can exacerbate urinary tract problems.

I'm not in the UK so I can't recommend any specific brands. Does he have any particular favourites?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claudya_87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank for your reply.

He’s a mixed breed so he is a bit larger than normal cats but I feel that these days he put on more weight than needed. It’s getting harder for him to get in and out of the window when he goes in the garden. I have a feeling that he might pull some tricks to get treats from both me and my partner.

I work in shifts so it’s easier for me to use dry food as I have an automatic feeder. He is a fan of fish in general with his favourite being tuna and he receives cheese kibbles as a treat to convince him to come back inside every evening. At the other end, he doesn’t seem to like beef or lamb for example. My safest bet when it comes to his food would be poultry.

I didn’t know fish would cause him harm..I always tried to compensate my lack of time with pets and treats.

If you have any recommendations of food, I can just try to find them on international websites..

Thank you again, I will look into high protein food and cut his fish supply. He won’t be happy but it’s for his own good.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats eat Felix wet food. They are their favorite. I tend to stock up because they fly off the grocery counters really fast. They have meat and fish flavors, but i usually feed them the chicken and beef flavors. I only leave them dry food for their overnight "snacks".

you can check if its ok for your cat.

4B1ED141-027A-46AB-B79D-B82C1FF47ADC.jpeg
86953D13-69B3-4989-8C4A-DCD6E637A09C.png

Btw, I agree, handsome boy got there!

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitties love the Almo Complete chicken and cheese. My tortoiseshell Sasha will sit there watch everyone eat something else and insists on her chicken and cheese. :disappointed: In fact, the girls recognize the sound of that can and come running back..
:yummy:.....