Neurological Issue After Surgery

thinkadHi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I would like to keep this as brief as possible after expanding from another topic. My 12 year old perfectly healthy cat went into exploratory intestinal surgery 18 days ago to remove bunting he ingested. He had made a good recovery in the 10 days after being discharged, eating and defacating normally.

Suddenly, last Saturdat, it is like something clicked in his head. He sits on his belly and crawls to where he wants to get to, or in a best case scenario walks very slowly and wobbly with his head held straight ahead and his legs close together. He only eats and drinks if the stuff is put under his nose. He tremors from time to time with his entire body, and his pupils seem to be very responsive all the time and permanently adjunsting. He is, I would say, half lucid. If I put my hand on him to stroke him he wiggles his tail, but if I try to move him he instantly meows. I have since taken him to the vet again and everything in his blood and x ray work has come back spotless. It looks like he is afraid to even jump off the bed, and sometimes he needs to be dragged out of the litter box because he tries to cover up his pee and seems like he lacks the energy to even get out.
The weird thing is, after we bring him home from the vet he perks up and is his normal self, then within 48-72 hours he drifts back into extreme lethargy.
I am at a loss for money and words trying to figure this out, it actually looks like he suffered a stroke. The doctor told me his front legs are shot from so many IV drips and he might be shielding them, but this does not explain his other concerning behaviour like a wobbly head, having his mouth open or being very afraid and hiding under the covers.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
AE33B11C-2495-4C56-8B8F-492912EA836F.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry about this. I read all the new posts in the other thread and probably have nothing constructive to add beyond what daftcat75 daftcat75 said. Even before I read that reply, I was thinking neurological, possibly coincidental and unrelated to the previous condition you had posted. If something had gone wrong with the surgery, I think that 18 days is a fairly long window to have remained hidden and then suddenly appear, although I am no vet and can't say that for certain.

Blood work and xrays will not necessarily show anything neurological. It is almost always an MRI that is used for that kind of diagnosis. If this is neurological, the presentation can vary so the fact that there is a period of normalcy followed by a decline is not unthinkable.

Does the vet do anything specific during the visits which seem to perk him up?

Again, not a vet, but I have experience with neurological conditions in animals as an owner, and I don't think that the shielding the paws is a great reason for his decline. If he only had sore front paws or legs, I think he might just sit around and try to rest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thinkadHi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I am in no way a vet but when I look at him everything screams stroke. He gently wobbles his head. Then he sleeps. Then he wiggles his ears, then he hears the treat bag and perks up, eats some treats and some cat food if I bring it to him. Then he becomes a zombie again. I called the emergency vet line and they said cats rarely have strokes and he is in no way in a condition to be put down. The fact that he eats and knows the litter box is a sign he is still there.

truth be told I am extremely scared to take him back to the vet and get bloodwork and all the stuff again,because I am afraid I might have caused this by repeatedly stressing him out and leaving him in the hospital alone ovenight. I do fear that another vet visit will throw him over the edge mentally but also it is very true that after vet visits he is always better for a couple of days.

this is extremely weird, because logically a sick cat would not eat and pee and poo. He looks genuinely in and out of reality, and extremely tired. I have no idea what to do.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment for Stroke in Cats | PetMD

Most agree that strokes are rare in cats, but not unheard of. The fact that there are so many possible symptoms of strokes shows the range which might be covered if your cat suffered one. I was not thinking that he needed to be put down, but was also not ruling out strokes as a possibility.

I completely see your point about upsetting him with repeated vet visits, especially if you are not allowed to be with him during the exam.

Neurological issues of any kind are very hard to get to the bottom of, so this is not like you are missing the one thing that would clarify all of this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thinkadHi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As a funny example, I just got Mcdonalds and he instantly smelled it and wanted to have a lick of the salt on the fries. But the poor thing just feels like either sitting still or crawling. What should I do? Wait him out by feeding him and leaving him alone to do whatever and whenever he wants? I feel guilty to do that because I feel I need to get to the bottom of this and ensure him quality of life, on the other hand he needs help because being spoonfed and wobbling to the bathroom is not a life. I have no idea what the best choice is.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I know you said that vet care is difficult where you are, but you need someone to give you some direction, a logical opinion based on experience at the least, or some diagnostic that might give a clue as to what is going on. At the least, if you feel that he is comfortable and not in discomfort (with neurological conditions there is sometimes an absence of pain), I would try to take the best care possible and see if he regains any strength as he seems to do after a vet visit.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he perks up after vet visits, it might be something they have been putting in his IV. Perhaps an antibiotic or Cerenia (maropitant), an anti nausea drug? Review your bills or ask the vet if they have been putting meds into his IV line or otherwise giving him injections in the office that you aren’t doing at home. I wonder if you could teleconsult with a neurologist remotely if you can’t find one locally. I’m not certain what they could do without an MRI. But maybe they could review the tests and medicines already performed and prescribed and put together a better picture. Or they might be able to give you tips and advice on how to proceed or make him more comfortable/improve his life for what it may have now become. If you have a veterinary school nearby, I would start with them to look for a referral. Or since you’ll be doing this remotely anyway, look for any telemedicine vet or neurologist that will work for you and with you.

Last edited:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think daftcat75 daftcat75 might be on to something about him perking up after the vets. Has anyone mentioned vestibular desease it can look very much like a Stoke, but can be caused by a middle ear infection. The reason I think daftcat75 daftcat75 is on to something is when I was dealing with vestibular my boy was a couple of hours late getting his antibiotics because our vet appointment was at dinner not the morning. By the time we got there he was having difficulty walking again, my boy had a head tilt because only one ear was infected. But I've read if both are there's no tilt. Sometimes vet's can't see any signs of infection if it's the middle ear. I hope you get answers soon. He might be getting antibiotics or antimflamatrys in the drip.

Last edited: