Nephew Has Croup: Can He Be Around My Cats?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 10 month old great nephew has croup (Google: An upper airway infection that blocks breathing and has a distinctive barking cough.)

The doctor told my niece the baby should avoid dust, strong chemicals, and pets until this clears up. They have him on antibiotics (they originally thought it was just a cough) now on medicine to bring down the inflammation.

i just put an air purified downstairs, and we put one in my nieces room. I also cleaned up the loose pet hair, and have a small robot vacuum running downstairs.

Are my cats a danger to my nephew? the doctor said this was serious and could cause him to stop breathing. Hes mostly upstairs in a room the cats dont go into. But he goes downstairs a few times a day.

Should i be worried? :sigh:

edit: my niece is also buying him a cold humidifier.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been around cats before? If so then your cats pose no danger. If he’s never been around cats before keep him away until the croup resolves. Usually 5 days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been around cats before? If so then your cats pose no danger. If he’s never been around cats before keep him away until the croup resolves. Usually 5 days.
Yes, he's always been around them since he was born. He'll sneeze from time to time. But he's never had a big reaction to them.

Thank you for responding! Been worried all day.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Croup is quite common in babies . I know I have a 9 and 6 year old. Both had croup multiple times. At the time we had 5 cats. Try not to worry and in my experience with croup my babies were prescribed a steroid orally and given an albuterol nubulizer. Well wishes and healing to your great nephew.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Croup is quite common in babies . I know I have a 9 and 6 year old. Both had croup multiple times. At the time we had 5 cats. Try not to worry and in my experience with croup my babies were prescribed a steroid orally and given an albuterol nubulizer. Well wishes and healing to your great nephew.
thank you! that makes me feel a lot better. :heartshape: