Neighbor's wife killed herself Tuesday night

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night Deb came home and she said she heard a knock on the big garage door which was strange, she was hesitant to open it until she knew it was the neighbor who lives behind us to the side, and he was very upset and said "I have some bad news, Lisa killed herself last night". Lisa and Jerry live next door to them, just down the alley, and we would see them, not often, but we knew them for the 30 years that we lived here, and she was always smiling and okay; she smoked like a chimney, was a cancer survivor yet still smoked, had her stomach stapled a few years ago although she didn't look big to me, just got a clean bill of health from her doctor, but apparently she was laying on the bed with her dog, Jerry asked her if she wanted anything, she said no, he walked out, sat down to do something and heard a gunshot, the dog came racing out of the room, he went in and she had shot herself with her own gun. He raced over to the neighbors, they came over but she was dead, too late for 911 to do anything. The neighbor who told Deb this said just the day before she called his wife and asked if she wanted a perm, she was a hairdresser and worked out of her house, and when they asked Bev how was she she said she was fine, nothing wrong. They asked Jerry if she ever showed signs of issues, he said at times she would get into a mood and could sleep for 20 hours straight, but would snap right out of it. He said he talked to her about getting help but she didn't want to go, didn't think that she needed any, but now it's too late. Our hearts break for him, he is a 72 year old Vietnam vet with PTSD, she was younger only 59, but this just has us all baffled and in shock, just awful, so so sad.....what would trigger her to do something like this we'll probably never know.....

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for all the people who knew and loved Deb, especially her husband. Depression is an insipid bastard and too many times it wins. I was always told to be nice to people because you never know what is going on in their lives. Please keep an watchful eye on her husband, he is going to have it rough for quite a while.

I am so sorry.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I am so sorry for your loss. There is so much of this going around these days. I think that people are confused when they say that suicide is "cowardly" or "the easy way out". The survival instinct is very strong. Most of us have said or thought, "I would kill myself if (specific bad thing) ever happened!" but if it does, we usually adapt, go on, and find other things that bring us joy.

There are any number of reasons why Lisa might have thought that this was her only or best choice. Most likely, she was trying to protect Jerry or another loved one from something she thought would be worse than losing her. All of us sometimes think our loved ones would be better off with the insurance money or that our medical bills are so high that our lives just aren't worth it.

Lisa doesn't sound like a complainer or a weak person to me. I am so sorry that this happened to you and to Jerry, but please don't think less of her. I'm sure she didn't want to hurt you and she would have kept on fighting for her life but she just couldn't any more.

Suicide is an epidemic at this time in history. Lisa deserves the same respect as anyone else who loses their life to any other epidemic.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, there's still a stigma attached to asking for help for depression. People tend to think that it's a moral failure (it isn't - even in situational depression it's a chemical imbalance in the brain) so they try to tough it out, until they just can't tough it out any more so they decide to end it.

After my friend Candace killed herself I remembered that there'd been a phone call I missed, and that they hadn't left a message, and I was so afraid that it had been Candace calling for help and because I'd missed the call she was dead. I was lucky - it turned out that the phone call had been made after Candace was already dead, so it couldn't have been her and I don't have to deal with the possibility that I missed an obvious chance to prevent her death. Jerry isn't that fortunate. He has to be feeling terribly guilty about this, telling himself "I should have known! What did I miss?". The reality is that he probably couldn't have known, but actual guilt has very little to do with perceived guilt.

There's another reality that you need to watch out for: Men tend not to live very long after their wives die. One of the reasons for this, and the one reason that you can actually do something about, is that men tend not to have a network of close friends on whom they can rely the way many women do. I hope that, as a veteran diagnosed with PTSD, Jerry is already in a PTSD support group through the VA, but it's something you may want to check on since the VA has been falling down on a lot of things when it comes to providing proper care for people. If Jerry doesn't have access to that kind of support already, it's the kind of thing that is available elsewhere. You can research support groups in your area and help Jerry get into one if necessary. And you can be there for him. I suspect that right now he especially needs male friends on whom he can rely, since there are always things that are easier to share with people of your own gender; be that friend for him.

You may also want to check out this thread: Grieving. It contains everything I know about grieving (and over the years I've become something of an expert on the subject, sorry to say), and it doesn't just apply to the loss of a pet. It may contain a few things that will help you help Jerry.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the great replies....awhile ago I talked to Bev our neighbor who was with Lisa on Monday, she said she acted normal, nothing at all out of the ordinary, even bought enough product to give another woman a perm later this week, talked about their 26th wedding anniversary coming up and Valentine's day, showed not an inkling of anything wrong and even made supper the night she died. They said Jerry said she had been acting different off and on since November, having some depressive moods and also bad dreams, but she snapped out of it and despite him wanting her to get help she said "I'm okay, I'll be fine".

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How sad and heart breaking... Please if anyone is thinking of doing such a thing to themselves please contact a suicide hotline, such a tragic loss for everyone involved from family and friends to first responders, again so sorry for your loss.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Margret probably already has this link on the thread, but just in case:

Jerry is going to be returning to that night and picking over every detail and wondering if he could have done anything different just like Margret did when Candace died. It isn't that we're afraid he's going to pick up a gun and suicide, it's that married couples frequently die of natural causes within a very short time of each other.

I don't see anything at all in anything that you have written that leads me to believe that Lisa was trying to get help. She made a private decision. Her body belonged to her. I'm not going to argue chemical vs situational causes of Depression, but the fact is that most of us don't get to decide when we're done with life because the human body just isn't designed that way.

It's not that easy or we'd all just pull the trigger when our kids get sent off to war or we lose our life savings or our countries collapse. The survival instinct is beautiful in the same harsh, austere way that winter is beautiful, but most of us don't have as much free will as we think we do when it comes to voluntarily ending our own lives. It doesn't work that way. Even the most unemployable and unlovable homeless on the streets will fight just as hard for his life as a sucessful CEO of an exciting new industry if they are shipwrecked or stranded in a blizzard.

Maybe Lisa would have made a different choice if boot edge edge was in the white house instead of the other guy or if she had been able to get more respect for her (very creative and artistic) career or if cancer treatment was considered a human right just like air and water and good, nutritious food, and shelter and.....

But I don't personally think that she died because Jerry didn't take her to the hospital when she was feeling a bit glum. We've all had a lot to feel glum about lately.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your tragic loss! These things are always beyond shocking, sad and surreal - my cousins mother had committed suicide some years ago. The poor girl came home from middle school one day and discovered her hanging in the garage.

It is a good time to definitely provide support for the neighbor (And for yourself too!) during his traumatic time. While it is of course important to honour the memory of the deceased and issues like depression, it is just as important to be there for those left behind.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw Jerry outside today so I stopped down and we just hugged each other, I told him "I'm so sorry that this is happening to you....I wish I could take it away for you" and he was so-so as expected. He did tell me that Lisa would be good for a few days then he'd say something not terrible but in her mind it was the wrong thing to say and she'd immediately switch and become very volatile and angry which would last for a few days, then she'd even out again. He and my wife both said they wonder if it had anything to do with her chemo 7 years ago which was very rough on her, and Deb also questioned having her stomach stapled if that messed with her mind at all. But either way, it can't bring her back, but he did say that he has a lot of friends and family who have been stopping by and checking and talking with him and I said "that's good, you are going to need them now....." and told him if he needs anything "you know we are right down the street" and gave him about a third hug....my heart just breaks for him right now....😔 😢

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just being there for Jerry, mostly to listen if he wants to talk, is the best thing you can do for him right now. You may also want to find out whether he's eating right - I don't know how much Lisa cooked, but if she regularly made their meals he may not know how to care for his own nutrition. An occasional invitation to dinner with you and Deb may be exactly what he needs.

Margret

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about this. Jerry needs all the support people can give him. I'm sorry for you and Deb as well.
My uncle took his own life when I was 5 and back then I couldn't even comprehend it and now I still can't. Please,
if anyone knows someone who you feel is troubled and depressed, say something. give them the National Suicide
hotline number. Please give Jerry a big hug from me.