Neighbor Cat accidentally hit

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband accidentally hit a cat down the street and he was killed. We stayed outside with the cat until another neighbor called to tell them. He came and got the cat. Husband apologized. Another cat had ran out in the street and my husband slammed the brakes. He started taking off again and hit the second cat that he never saw. 😞 We do not know these neighbors. They live quite a ways down the street. They have young kids. What can we do for them? Flowers? Something else? I need ideas on what we can do for them please 🥺 Thank you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps a card, with something like, "We are just gutted about this. Is there anything we can do to make this any easier at all?" You and your husband are among the few who would have gone as far as you did. Bless you both, and I am so sorry this happened. Poor cat. Poor you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perhaps a card, with something like, "We are just gutted about this. Is there anything we can do to make this any easier at all?" You and your husband are among the few who would have gone as far as you did. Bless you both, and I am so sorry this happened. Poor cat. Poor you.
Thank you. Yes my husband feels terrible. He's never run over anything in his life. I feel so bad for the family.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
This may sound a bit harsh but your husband is not at all at fault for this. It is irresponsable to let a cat wander unsupervised. They are like toddlers. They don't know any better than to wander into the road.

I'm not exactly sure how I would do this but I would try to educate them if possable on indoor cats and/or catos. I don't honsetly know another way to prevent this from happening.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This may sound a bit harsh but your husband is not at all at fault for this. It is irresponsable to let a cat wander unsupervised. They are like toddlers. They don't know any better than to wander into the road.

I'm not exactly sure how I would do this but I would try to educate them if possable on indoor cats and/or catos. I don't honsetly know another way to prevent this from happening.
I agree that in general people need to learn that accidents like this will happen when cats are allowed to roam freely. I myself hit and killed a cat years ago and it can still bring me to tears now, so i can really relate. But I’m thinking that just now when these people have lost their cat, they might not be receptive or ready to hear it. I find just casually mentioning in conversation that I keep my cats indoors, and why, sometimes sparks discussion. Perhaps that approach may work at a later time when the pain isn’t quite as raw.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that in general people need to learn that accidents like this will happen when cats are allowed to roam freely. I myself hit and killed a cat years ago and it can still bring me to tears now, so i can really relate. But I’m thinking that just now when these people have lost their cat, they might not be receptive or ready to hear it. I find just casually mentioning in conversation that I keep my cats indoors, and why, sometimes sparks discussion. Perhaps that approach may work at a later time when the pain isn’t quite as raw.
One of my neighbours had a cat who was hit by a car right in front of their house. They adopted a second one and let it roam unsupervised too, it actualy got stuck in the garage two doors down for two days. Some people honestly you can't fix stupid.

Anyways my piont is perhaps telling them about the danger would save another cats life. All people are different but idk it just really bugs me when people let them run loose. Its like letting a toddler crawl down the road.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I feel so sorry for your husband, please tell him I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. He in no way intended to do this, so is in no way at fault. I don't think there is much you can do, you stayed with the cat until the family came, and you did so much more than most. It was an accident. Now would not be the time to contact them, the grief is too fresh. Maybe a little later send them a sympathy card acknowledging their grief. There are many pet cards now.
Once again, I am so sorry for your husband, and for you. you did all you could, really........