Neigbor w Parkinsons, dog chases cat

Abornet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed a feral clipped ear cat that showed up a year ago. The cat goes into the neighbors yard, the wife has parkinsons. Their dog apparently goes nuts when it sees the cat and due to her balance issues almost knocks her over. The Neighbor feels Im at fault for feeding this cat, and I will be responsible if his wife falls. and he wants to trap and remove it far away. Needless to say this has caused me much anxiety, I certainly dont want the wife to fall but I also have no real control over the cat. Not to mention that we do have other neighbors who feed ferals. Could I really be held accountable for the dog going crazy and knocking over the wife because I feed a feral cat??? What can I do?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
…well, obviously my first thought, not knowing your indoor situation is, why not trap and keep the feral? Failing that, I’d reach out to local trap & rescue groups who will find it a forever home. Could you have a collective meeting with the other feral feeders? Perhaps someone has a solution, and you’d all be helping each other (and the tipsy lady!). I am no lawyer, but don’t think you can be held accountable. Still, good fences make good neighbors….better to get on the good foot.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not much really unless you can train/teach the feral a different route to take. at the same time that poor guy has to watch helpless as his wife falls apart before his eyes. he also needs to realize he cant really blame you for his dog just being a dog just a sad situaion all around maybe you could try spraying peppermint oil along the boundary of your yards so the cat avoids going into his yardpeople with parkinsons can fall really easytheir mobility and balance is basicly zero n the latter stages of it :(hope things work out

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abornet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
…well, obviously my first thought, not knowing your indoor situation is, why not trap and keep the feral? Failing that, I’d reach out to local trap & rescue groups who will find it a forever home. Could you have a collective meeting with the other feral feeders? Perhaps someone has a solution, and you’d all be helping each other (and the tipsy lady!). I am no lawyer, but don’t think you can be held accountable. Still, good fences make good neighbors….better to get on the good foot.
I would love to keep her but shes very much a wild thing. Sadly this neighbor wants me to DO all the cat mitigation. Ive sent Ideas and links to lots of things he can do to help deter any ferals from going in his yard. I personally do not want to go in his yard and then be blamed if something does not work etc. I have spoken with the TNR person in the neighborhood and trapping her then bringing her in the house would be the optimal option but my house isnt that big and I already have 3 rescues with special needs and in different rooms. I will reach out to other groups, its just so many are at capacity already. Would having her become a barn cat be a possiblity? Im just worried she'd try to make her way back here. Im in process of saving $ to make a catio sort of thing on my small covered deck. If that were already in place I would keep her there. Mostly is the threat of lawsuit which isnt helpful at all.
And I would think that any feral cat, squirrel, opossum etc could pose a risk for the wife falling especially without getting training for the dog. This is really a frustrating situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abornet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
not much really unless you can train/teach the feral a different route to take. at the same time that poor guy has to watch helpless as his wife falls apart before his eyes. he also needs to realize he cant really blame you for his dog just being a dog just a sad situaion all around maybe you could try spraying peppermint oil along the boundary of your yards so the cat avoids going into his yardpeople with parkinsons can fall really easytheir mobility and balance is basicly zero n the latter stages of it :(hope things work out
I actually orderd wolf urine granules to give him to put around his yard. I hope he appreciates it and gives it a try. Mostly bc I have not been able to trap the wild one yet. I think shes trap savvy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that you have some good ideas in place. There are also cat repellent products sold at places like Home Depot. I tried predator urine years ago when we had a rat problem; it was not that effective.

We are not attorneys here on TCS, but in some jurisdictions feeding a cat makes it your property. You might want to do some online research.

Feral Cat Legal Issues | Animal Legal & Historical Center

This article, which is older, is one example of what you might need to research.

Having said that, it would seem that the proof of a cat causing the wife to fall BECAUSE it excited the dog is hard to prove. This could get into some legal crosshairs, but it is the dog who would cause the fall, potentially, and proving that the cat was involved would be difficult. If the wife has that severe a balance problem, the husband should be vigilant about being with her when she is outside, maybe should control or train the dog, possibly make other accomodations in the property if that is possible. I don't see him coming up with the time stamped video of the cat being chased by the dog and the wife on the ground...and if he stood by and watched that is a whole other issue.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Tough situation, and probably hard for you to think it through since the neighbor is being so threatening. sounds like Games Misconduct might have the right idea…maybe just don’t put food out for her and get the other (further away) cat feeders to bear the brunt. Perhaps you could explain via a Facebook group, a go fund me page or TNR folks your dilemma and they could pitch in to help build your catio? Do you know someone who maybe likes working with their hands of a weekend who IS a friendly neighbor? From the anxiety you are expressing, it might be wise to to keep track via camera or invoices or anything of all you are doing to keep the cat out, all the steps you are taking. I am hoping a lawyer will chime in here, but I doubt he’d take you to small claims court. Still, it’s the last thing you need right now. To me this is a situation where working w/ others locally who care might prove to be your best option.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed a feral clipped ear cat that showed up a year ago. The cat goes into the neighbors yard, the wife has parkinsons. Their dog apparently goes nuts when it sees the cat and due to her balance issues almost knocks her over. The Neighbor feels Im at fault for feeding this cat, and I will be responsible if his wife falls. and he wants to trap and remove it far away. Needless to say this has caused me much anxiety, I certainly dont want the wife to fall but I also have no real control over the cat. Not to mention that we do have other neighbors who feed ferals. Could I really be held accountable for the dog going crazy and knocking over the wife because I feed a feral cat??? What can I do?
Legally I doubt you can be held accountable. But I would try to trap kitty and take her in, tame her, give her an indoor only home, or get her adopted if you can’t keep her.

The dog needs to be worked with if he gets so excited by a cat that he is somehow on the verge of causing her to fall etc. Trying to blame you for his dog’s behavior is not valid imo, any cat could wander into the yard or the dog could get over excited by another animal etc. If his wife’s disease is at that stage she should not be left alone in that situation anyway.

Even though your kitty is not tame, you think, I guarantee you most likely with enough time inside she can be tamed and learn to be happy inside. It takes time and effort and devotion etc. Get someone to help trap her and then cage her or keep her in a small room while you tame her. There are lots of article about how to do this.

Last edited: