Needs some Advice

HankNJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 16 year old feral male cat that was caught when he was 10 weeks old and has been with me ever since. He has always been indoor cat. It was tough getting him to accept me at first but now is the greatest companion I could ever ask for. He doesn't trust anyone but me and runs and hides under his end table until they are gone. Yesterday I had to go to for an hour of Physical therapy an upon returning an hour later I went to greet him and he became so spooked at my presence he went crazy running around meowing and looking for another place to hide which he finally found in a kitchen cabinet. I didn't do anything other then to awaken him from under the end table. I have been trying to figure out what it could be as he has only done this once before when he lost his sibling about four years ago. I thought maybe it may have been the tan loafers I was wearing that he has never seem before that could have startled him thinking I was a stranger. Also, Sammy is deaf now but still has great eyesight, sleeps with me every night, plays and normally eats well. As I write this he is still under the end table hiding. This is going into the second day. He usually pees a lot also but hasn't that much since yesterday. He does eat a little has water to drink. Also, Sammy has some digestive issues that he throws up a couple times a month with clear liquid and sometime undigested food but no hairballs. Then he goes right back and wants to eat some more. When not scared or startled he is a very loving cat and looks bright eyed and bushy tailed. Has anyone experienced this type of behavior with their cat or cats. Thank you, all in advanced for reading this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He may have been spooked by some unfamiliar scent on you or your shoes. However, you would think he would have calmed down about this by the second day. Any other 'new' things going on since this started yesterday?

I would try to coax him to feel more comfortable by offering him some favorite food/treats. You can place it near his hiding spot and see if he comes out to eat it - as well as water. If he goes back under the end table afterward, try again, and then maybe more times just moving the food/treats a bit farther away. I also included a link below that talks about ways to get a cat to like you - not that he doesn't like you, but they can work to encourage a cat to come out from hiding.

At his age, I hope he has routine vet checkups, including blood work and urinalysis, usually at least once a year, if not twice. He is old enough now that, just like humans, he is more prone to illnesses and diseases cropping up.
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HankNJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advice. I have been doing exactly that feeding him small portions by the end table. He does come out to eat and lets me pet him but then goes back under the table. He was to the vet last March and had his blood work performed. Everything was OK with his bloodwork. I know he should be checked more often but with a $800 to $1000 for a wellness check and the economy I can't afford it right now. I am hoping and praying that he will come out by tomorrow as long as he keeps eating and drinking water. I may have to look for another vet that deals with feral cats and understands them better. So hard to find a good veterinarian that cares about cats like they do for dogs. Thanks for replying!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe a cat-only vet rather than one who deals with ferals. Your buddy may have once been a feral - a long time ago - and may still shy away from things that many cats don't, but I wouldn't consider nor call him feral.

For future trips, you might consider keeping a towel or blanket with his scent on it and rubbing your hands/arms/legs with it - and removing your shoes - so that he doesn't smell other unfamiliar scents from you.

Keep us posted. I am hoping to hear that he turns a corner and gradually comes back to his old self.:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

HankNJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are probably correct. I didn't give the scent thing much thought. While at Physical Therapy the staff had to maunever my feet and legs to put a plan together. So, I guess their scent was left on my clothes. I feel so bad for my best friend. When i go back i will undress in the garage and take a quick shower so any scents from the class are not on me.

Attachments

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Could also be a little bit related to deafness. I know I have to approach my cat a little more carefully than I did or he gets startled. But if he is utterly deaf, this could also mean he relies more keenly on scent as well as sight, so, maybe the clothes changing idea isn’t a bad one. Please keep us posted!

HankNJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to all who have responded to my problem. Sammy is back with me now. He came out sometime during the night and was purring in my face. Thank God! this doesn't happen all that often.

Attachments

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks to all who have responded to my problem. Sammy is back with me now. He came out sometime during the night and was purring in my face. Thank God! this doesn't happen all that often.
So glad to see this news. :catrub: