Needing advice for kinda strange cat behavior

Wyocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI all,
You all were so helpful when we were doing intros with our 2 kitties. I have a strange problem that I have searched hi & low on the internet & I'm not finding anything. I will call my cats OC (old cat) and NC (new cat). That seems less confusing for me.
Both kitties are former lab research animals. Both are neutered.

OC is 11 years old, we have had him for 8 years. Very even temperament. Not at ALL a fighter. But also not a super lover. He likes his space. He had a brother that passed last September. We kinda think that OC likes NC better than he liked his brother.

NC just turned 4. We have had him for 5 months. He was neutered late at 3 years old (I'm not sure if this is a factor). He is super sweet. He is also not a very confident cat. All the sounds of a human house kinda freaked him out for awhile when we got him. Furnace, humidifier, fridge, etc. He is slowly learning what it means to live in a regular human household. NC pretty much follows OC around the house ALL the time. Not in a predatory manner (I don't think), but more like a "I don't want to be alone and by the way, what are you doing?" manner. OC is pretty patient with NC. NC is quite a bit heavier than OC.

Here's the weird part. NC really wants to, and often does, bite OC on the back and lots of yowling happens. We can't tell who yowls since they have very similar voices. It seems like sexual aggression. It mostly happens in the evening, but can happen any time. OC mostly turns around and swats NC when this happens. Then NC backs off, but doesn't necessarily give up. But sometimes if NC catches OC off guard, OC can end up being pinned. We try to keep our cool and just gently push NC off of OC. Sometimes NC really has a grip on OC. Many times, once NC starts doing this, he seems like obsessed with OC's back and will NOT stop. NC's attitude towards following OC seems more predatory at these times. I have noticed that often, esp in the evening, OC just wants to get away from NC. But some times, OC doesn't really seem to care. And they do NOT fight. Both cats are pretty chill except for this.

We try to play with the kitties every night before bedtime, partly because that's when we have time & partly so they sleep through the night. That is also when the behaviour seems the most prevalent. I am home with them all day and don't see this behaviour a ton. They do play "chase" after they eat in the morning, and seem to play well with each other doing this (although it seems like they are still trying to figure out each other's rules.) When we play with them at night with a feather/string toy, sometimes they will actually play. Often times NC will play, but keep one eye out for OC.

I will admit that hubby and I have lost our cool once or twice. We think that is why NC is now very unsure/afraid/cautious around hubby. When we first got NC, he bonded first with hubby. So hubby is working really hard to regain NC's trust. It is slowly getting better there. It has been helped by hubby doing evening feeding duties now.

I will also admit that with previous kitties, we have used a spray bottle. After discovering this site, we decided not to discipline NC with spray bottle. Also, we have never had a cat quite this unconfident, so I think that using a spray bottle would not be good for NC's psyche.

Does anyone have any ideas for curbing the biting behavior? It is really causing a lot of stress for everyone. I do realize we have only had NC a short time, but I don't know if we should just let it continue & let them work it out, or if we need to do something to address it. Thanks so much for any and all suggestions. Or ask any questions if you need more info.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.

Definitely, no spray bottle or any negative enforcement. It just doesn’t work with cats and makes things so much worse. Also no yelling. I know it’s hard not to yell at a cat when he is potentially hurting your cat. It, it just makes things worse.

I rarely start out with saying this, but NC and OC need help from a board certified veterinary behaviorist who will be able to help your cats and, I am positive prescribe some short term medication to help NC be more confident, happy, and curb this undesirable behavior. Most likely the medication will be used short term, just to establish new patterns of behavior for NC and more acceptable routines.

Please do not waste any time or money on anyone that is not a board certified veterinary behaviorist. It will just make this problem so much worse.

I truly think this can be fixed with the right help, or become permanent behavior with either veterinarians that think they know behavior but didn’t get certified and spend the additional years learning animal behavior, or, by someone with good intentions, calling themselves a cat behaviorist, but no degree. BTW, anyone ca. call themselves a n animal behaviorist. It isn’t a protected title.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wyocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response. That is great idea. However, according to your search link, unfortunately there is no one within 300 miles of us. I appreciate your response and candor.