Need your opinion on paint color

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We are in the process of painting the house....a very slow process. :lol3: At this point our goal is to get one side done before it gets too cold this year.

We don't know what color to paint the basement windows:

They are currently a dark brown. As you can see the house will be grey, with white trim. We've thought about the gray, white or even black as possibilities but can't decide.

What do you think, or do you have any other color suggestions?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Any of them would be fine, though black will throw off with the other windows and show the dust, and white will show the dirt. Gray would be the least obtrusive.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think any of those colors would work, although gray would be my least favorite. I think it would be too much gray.

I think that if you don't want to draw attention to the basement windows for any reason, they could be painted black. It would blend in with the darkness of the windows (when the basement is dark inside). White will make them stand out more. I like uniformity, so it if it were my house, I would probably want all trim to be white, including the basement window trim and the small pieces of wood that make the window panes.

Good luck with your project! 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you need contrast between the basement window framing and the cement walls of your exterior there, under the shingles.  I'm assuming, that you'll also be painting the paning of all the windows which are currently brown to white?  You could, if you were so inclined, going to a grayish-blue for instance.  It would soften it up and give enough contrast.  I don't think trying to hide them is going to be effective - that's what landscaping is for so I'd go the opposite route and try and make them look as nice as possible.  You could even use the gray/blue in other trim areas, depending on the style of your home.  It's hard to tell what that is from the photo.

BTW - I've been working in architecture/design for more years than I care to admit so I always tend to go toward being less conservative, and when I know what the house style is, try and stay with colors which are appropriate for that type of house.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I think any of those colors would work, although gray would be my least favorite. I think it would be too much gray.

I think that if you don't want to draw attention to the basement windows for any reason, they could be painted black. It would blend in with the darkness of the windows (when the basement is dark inside). White will make them stand out more. I like uniformity, so it if it were my house, I would probably want all trim to be white, including the basement window trim and the small pieces of wood that make the window panes.

Good luck with your project! 
I agree about white showing the dust and dirt more, but I think I'd like white the most, too.

Painting is a very slow-going process. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
So many different opinions! :lol3: Only two of these cellar windows show, so I guess if we paint it and we aren't happy with the color it wouldn't be a big deal to change it. There is one window on the side and one in the back. Another is under the deck and I'm not going to bother with that one.

Yes, we have been looking at the window dividers/frames or whatever they are called. It's odd because they have been wood since we moved in here and it never really bothered us, but after painting this one window we agree that they will either have to be painted white to match the rest of the window, or removed altogether.

As far as house style, here's a quick pic I took the other day of the front -

The front clapboard will be a darker grey than the shingles on the sides, trim will be white and the doors will be a pop of color, but we haven't decided what color yet. We have also discussed adding shutters and/or window boxes, but there will be no final decision on either until we actually get to the front.