Need To Find A Home For This Guy - Denver Area

lab mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am needing some help and I thought I would reach out on this site in case any one has any ideas or help:
I am needing to find a home for a Feral cat that I trapped. I live in the Denver area.
He was living outside my parents old vacant house, my mom would go there religiously everyday to feed this guy. We decided to trap him because it was so cold this winter and thought that maybe he was a stray. I trapped him on 1/2/18 and had him neutered and vaccinated 2 weeks later. He is felv/fiv negative.
So, I have been working with socializing him for the last 3 months. He is an incredibly shy cat, but very sweet in nature... but very scared. I have made some good gains with him, he loves to be petted with a toy stick, he likes to play and is playing more actively lately, he will roll onto his back and swat at toys. He lets me pet him but reluctantly. He is gaining a lot of my trust and is making gains every day. I am heart broken to have to find him a home, but I have a black lab that doesn't like cats and I think it would be too stressful for the both of them
He is a beautiful boy and I just want to find him a home. I have reached out to several rescue groups but no-one is able to help, especially because he is a feral. I don't have many options...most groups say a "barn-cat" but I don't want to do that. I think he will make a great house cat, he just needs to find the perfect home of love and patience. He will take a while to warm up but I really believe he could do good in a home. I am so worried about him because I know he is starting to really trust me, I am attached to him and have a lot of time invested in him too. I just hope to find a suitable home for him.
I could just put him back outside, but because we are selling this house soon, he will not have a food source.
This is just heart breaking.....Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a reason you cannot take him with you to your new place? I just brought 3 feral cats inside on 12/26/17 and then moved with them to my new house in February. They are all inside now in a safe room adjusting to inside life.

Thank you for rescuing this sweet boy. It would be very hard for him to have to go back outside and start hunting again. You are right that he most likely will not be adoptable since he is feral. His best hope is that you can find a way to keep him.

I have a large dog too and she now lives with 6 cats. As long as the dog is well trained and can be taught not to chase the cat, it can be done. I started each cat off with a room of its own and would take the dog in with me on a leash. I used lots and lots of food rewards.
Here is an article that might help you How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, please please consider letting him into your house! Don't put him back outside, please take him with you. Your black lab is trainable, that kitty needs you!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So what did you decide? Just interested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lab mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I haven't found him a home yet...still looking. I have one option an hour and a half away with a rescue group..kinda like a group home for cats but it won't be a home and he won't get that much socialization. I have been working so much with him and he is really making some huge gains. I think he will eventually make a great house cat but needs time, love and patience. I am just heart broken at this whole thing and I would keep him if I could but I have a rescue dog that doesn't like cats and I don't think it would be fair to either of them .but I have so much fear about this...its causing me so much anxiety., my heart is just broken at the thought of giving him away ..like will he be okay. And because he is starting to really trust me, will he trust someone else. Will he be set back so much by the change .I really don't know what to do and it feels like a no win situation . :-(

lab mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Because the dog has had a rough life as well and I just think it would be a tough transition he is like a bulldozer .Strong willed black lab. Plus out house in under construction and I am not living in our home at this time .this kitty is in my parent vacant old house .it's very complicated .

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But that's the thing about black labs - once they learn something, anything, it's there in their brain forever. They aren't untrainable - besides that, he probably would love the work and interaction.

lab mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well this dog is the hardest dog I have ever had... its not that simple .

lab mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am a huge animal lover and not the kind of person that has ever given an animal away..we have taken in strays my whole life, rescued 2 feral we kept that were awesome pets and rescued a feral pregnant Mom and kittens last spring of which we kept the Mom and 1 .baby at my mom's new house. When I say "we" I am talking about my mom and I help .so this is VERY hard for me .And yes tried cat care society and they couldn't help at all.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Drat, double drat about the CCS.
The only other thing I can think of is for you to introduce the cat to a friend of yours and see how the cat reacts to that person, then if you know someone else, let the cat meet that person...

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Obviously you’re very attached to him by now and I assume it’s mutual. I can tell you that it can be done...meaning you can take him to a no kill. I’ve done this with many. But there’s something about that bonding....there is never a lot of time goes by that I don’t think about them, picture their face in the carrier, wonder...

I wish I could say something, just the right thing, that would make you say “wow, never thought of that” and make it ok either way...

Just to tell you love will find a way however you decide.

lab mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you trudy1. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your kind words. I am in tears..just the thought of taking him somewhere and hoping for the best for him makes me so sad. .he is making such great gains...today he is starting to come to me and wants to be around me..huge gain. I just have to do my best.

lab mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestion, yes I have tried both places . They can t help, and it's kitten season and I am trying to find a male feral a home ... :-(