Need Support!

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this sounds silly, I know. At the end of February we got a small foster kitten, 1 week old. We've hand raise her for a month now, and she got used to us and us to her (our resident cat, not so much :p). Being an orphan she is quite behind with development, she 6 weeks old and doesn't poo on herself, only eats a little wet food but still need regular bottle feeding etc. In a few words, she is a lot of work.

We are going away for the Easter long weekend, for 5 days, and yesterday (Wednesday) we dropped her off at another foster carer's and we're picking her up on Monday evening. We gave the foster carer the bottle, the formula, her towels with our scent on it, her favourite toy etc. The foster carer has 4 8 week old foster kittens so we thought it'd be OK. But the 4 fosters hiss at her and charge her then suddenly stop as if they realise she is too small (she is VERY small). I explained to the foster carer how to bottle feed her and how to stimulate her to go to toilet, and it's been not even 12 hours and I already texted to ask how it is going. She told me bottle feeding is a struggle but getting there, and that she slept on her own separated from the other kittens. I know she is not a human baby but I feel SO anxious that something might go wrong. She might be attacked by the others and have a horrible time, she might not eat enough, she might not go to the toilet and get heavily constipated, she might go under furniture and they won't find her again. I am picking her up in 108 hours and it seems like eternity.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This doesn't sound silly in the least.
I hate to say this, but it sounds to me like you're not that confident in the other foster person. This isn't even my cat but I have a bazillion questions...
Can you have a little more of a conversation with her? I mean, it seems as though it would have been better if she'd texted you, but maybe that's just me. Can you ask her to keep you updated, that you're really concerned about your little baby ball of fur?
Seriously, what's she going to do if the other kittens really do follow through and gang up on your teeny one? Can she keep them separated for more than just sleeping?
Is she up to handling constipation? You gave her your vet's number I assume.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she is experienced with fostering then I think she will be okay but I understand you being so concerned. If the other kittens get used to her which could well happen, kittens are very open to new things, they may help her. Kittens learn from litter mates as well as their mother so the other kittens may help her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet is 10 km away from her, and being a foster she can only go to facilities approved by our association - and there's one near her so I am not concerned about that. It's not that I am not confident in her, I am not confident in anyone who isn't me (or my partner) as she grew up with us so we know everything about her (like, what to do when she fights the bottle). She has been a foster carer for years now so I might even be stressing her out too much even.

Yeah I'd also preferred to receive news without asking but that's me, not all foster carers (or people) are like that. We're having pet sitters taking care of the house and our cat while we're away and that doesn't concern me as they will send us pictures every few hours as I already asked.

With the little one is a bit different, foster carers are quite practical in our association. Her husband is home all day today and she is home every day from Friday until Monday so someone will keep an eye on her at all times.

She told me this morning she saw the other kittens eating from the bowl and she went in and had some wet from the bowl too - she doesn't do this at home because our cat hisses at her, but apparently these little ones let her eat with them.

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, our cat won't let her anywhere near the food - even her own food, he just does NOT want her around when there is food involved. I was actually hoping he would warm up and accept her at some point, I was considering adopting her for good. I have that slight feeling that no family would be as good as us for her, but that's a bit of crazy talking.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about looking silly or crazy! We all toootttaalllllyy understand! :D If anything it is wonderful that you are such a devoted and awesome pet parent. And being anxious is very normal.

When I am away my babies are left with my mom, and despite me trusting her wholeheartedly I am still a huge fussbucket about their well being.

It seems things are going okey dokey so far. Positive baby steps are happening. And who knows, maybe your own kitties will adapt to the youngin' and you can keep her for good. Adjustments often take time. Keep us posted if desired! We will be by your side.

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! Just a quick update after the 5 vacation at the other foster carer's :) On the day of, I couldn't WAIT to pick her up because the carer sent me just a couple of pictures and didn't give me many details so I was like OK, I want to see Naboo ASAP. When we got there she was playing on her own in a corner and the others were snoozing. I asked the carer how did they go with bottle feeding, and she said "Oh, we stopped the bottle on Friday...". Then brought some milk in a saucer and there she was, lapping away like a real cat! Then I asked if she had pooped (my main concern) and the carer said "No idea, they all shared the litter box" and she wasn't concerned at all... so I took her home and as soon as we got there we tried to stimulate her - nothing. I got worried because I thought she had a blockage, but after a few hours she actually went on her own. So, during the long weekend she learned how to lap from the bowl and started going to the toiler on her own :) and it's quite amazing now because she's almost 7 weeks old and up to now hasn't had one single accident outside the box.

Now, question: she completely stopped the bottle, which is a relief for us. She's on wet food but she honestly doesn't eat much of it - only when she is starving, otherwise she is too excited to play and just forgets about food. She eats some dry but I don't want to make her used to that - I'd rather stay on wet. The few times I give her raw, she finishes it in 3 seconds, her favourite thing. I am giving her everyday some KMR to lap from the bowl, to complement the rest of the food. Her poop is perfect, but I am wondering when should I stop the KMR.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - thanks for the update!! whew.
Can you stay with your current dry, wet and KMR until she's calmed down a little bit now that you're back, with more raw so that she's getting as much food as she wants to eat?