Need some support.

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! I haven't been on the forums in quite a while since I have been so busy. I finally was accepted to a college, and I am in the Honors program. Yippee! During this time, I also found out my dear kitty, Cleopatra may have a serious disease. That put such a damper on my spirits, too. And then I had previous college classes to finish, and I also have to help my family around the house, and help prepare for camps, ect. So it's been very busy!

About a month ago, I found a lump on my collarbone. Well, more like I remember an excruciating pain, and when I looked in the mirror, it was red, and inflamed. Several days later it stopped hurting, so I forgot about it. HOWEVER, several times since then(it was about two months ago), when I put pressure on it, it hurts. I thought, well, it could just be a bone, or a tendon, or an unhealed injury. Nonetheless, this past Tuesday I went to the doctor. They asked for symptoms, and I said none whatsoever, other than the lump that hurts when I put pressure on it. He referred me to a place where I would have an ultrasound, and we just did it a few hours ago.

He explained it could be a bone cyst, or enlarged lymph nodes, and that PETRIFIED ME. So now, here I am, a hypochondriac, petrified that something is seriously wrong. And I know it very well could be. But what scares me the most is that I am SO young. I had so many plans for my future, and now I feel it could be in jeopardy. Especially if it could even be healed, I might not be able to go to college after all. This is just really weighing on me, due to so many circumstances, and I just wanted a little comfort, prayers, or have people help me get through this. I really hope it is nothing serious, but the odds are not necessarily in my favor.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear you are going through this.  It sounds like you caught it early and that weighs in your favor.  There are new treatments everyday and even my 80 year old MIL beat breast cancer a couple of years ago.  

A bone spur is no big deal and cancer is treatable.  Don't stress out too much.

It may delay your college plans but shouldn't derail them.   Have you spoken with a counselor there to see if you can delay starting a semester it necessary?  It will ease your mind to know ahead of time and would be one less thing to worry about.  You may also be able to take easier classes or not as many the first semester if you can't delay.  My daughter took 12 credits a semester then made it up by taking summer classes.

My brother was diagnosed with lymph node cancer 3 or 4 years ago.  He is still here, in fact he worked in Saudi Arabia for two years, then came home in January and started Chemo.  They tried changing his diet first to see if that would help. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I am so sorry things are not going well.

I wonder if it is a cyst-you don't have any other noticeable changes in: appetite-weight gain/loss-tired type of feeling?

I got a bone spur on the outer edge of my shoulder towards my chest that had to be cut off. This has changed how much pain I have. Before it got cut off it hurt all the time.

I had to miss work but it was paid via the insurance. I watched lots of tv and discovered online classes.

I have recently started back up online classes from www.study.com. I have been with them since 2013. They used to do a 3 month free trial. Now its $100 a month=these are courses you take online=no books=you need a good notebook and a computer with audio-headset/speakers if you are an auditory learner. I am not-I learn by reading.

Each course is broken down in small sections. Each section has a 5 question quiz at the end-you can retake unlimited times. at the end of chapter is a chapter test.

The cool thing is you can what is called CLEP out of courses=like math/English or other required busy work I call them. Then you find a college who offers the test and you test out of the class and earn college credit.

I learned so much this way more so than sitting in a class. On a good day I get 5 to 8 sections done a day. tthats almost a chapter. On a bad day=2 sections a day.

I really think this would work if you fear falling behind-they have over 3000 courses. So far I have taken Bio 101, Bio 102, Bio 103. They updated some with additional chapters so I am going back and completing the extra sections and quizzes. I recommend looking into this website to help you if you are bed bound. you can use a tablet, computer or your cell phone. I sometimes will play back one of the video on my way home from work to listen to the audio. most are 7 to 10 minutes long. Very short. And they usually repeat some concepts and build a building block on the prior lesson so you can expand without going too fast.

I am so glad I found this site. I still need to take lots of other courses through here-my plan was to jump start into Vet Tech or assistant with these courses under my belt.

Take heart and breathe. I am glad you got it looked at. Hoping you don't have too much pain from the exam. We are here if you need to sound off!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I think the only thing I am scared about is the fact that it could be that horrible, horrible disease. It's just something I never thought I would have to deal with for a while. I am just under 20 years old. It's just odd, to think that all this time I was worrying about Cleo, when I really should have been worrying about me. I know I am jumping to conclusions, and I shouldn't even be conversing about this without any results yet!

I have had no other symptoms apart from that. No weight loss, no fatigue, no fevers. Nothing. The only thing I can think of is an increase in anxiety, though now that I think about it, it was probably due to the whole thing with Cleo, silly me! In fact, I have felt pretty great! The only significant time I didn't feel good this year was when I had three hours of sleep, and for two days, for several hours, I had a migraine. But who knows.

I have yet to speak to my counselor yet, as I don't have any results. I would prefer to wait so I knew exactly what is going on. Results should come tomorrow or Monday. I think, sometimes, the wait can be the hardest.

lovefive

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear of your sad news. My thoughts are with you at this moment of time

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, I can totally understand your worry and anxiety. Waiting for tests and test results is excruciating and the fear of the unknown is almost unbearable. All of what you are feeling is valid and normal for the situation. Having been in your shoes at one time, I can tell you this: no matter what the diagnosis is, you WILL handle it and still be able to achieve all of your goals. Sometimes, life throws you a curve ball that you may think you cannot handle but I promise you: you WILL handle it. I say this as a person who went thru a major, life changing medical diagnosis in my 30s. So I have walked the walk [emoji]128522[/emoji]
The positive thing is that you have no other symptoms of note. Until to you hear otherwise, I recommend two things:
1. Do not search online for a diagnosis. You will only scare yourself silly.
2. Remind yourself that you are strong and will persevere no matter what this thing is.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji] that this is a minor issue. Please keep us posted [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Ia m so sorry to hear about this; but it could really be nothing at all.. I mean it, not much at all.

It could be an enlarged lymph node from some kind of infection you got and did not realize it at the time because you were so worried about Cleopatra. This kind of things are ok.. even if it sounds scary.

It could also be a cyst! yes a cyst.. which is no big deal..

If it is sore, I think that is a good sign. 

Or it could just be something associated with your thyroid gland.. no big deal...

or a thyroid-glossal cyst.. no big deal...

Take a deep breath, one step at a time..

Are you having an ultrasound? That would be the easiest and first thing to try.. if your blood tests are ok..they you will be fine...I mean it...

One step at a time and do not jump to conclusions.. do not use the internet--although I know you are...Just remember not to blow things out of proportion.. You can handle this....

Stress can cause a lot of bad things.. so please try to relax a bit while waiting for tests and test results...

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe in the power of prayer for healing. You will be on my list of people to pray for. :nod:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know it's way easier said than done, but it's no use worrying over something that doesn't exist yet. Nothing has crashed down, your long life is still ahead of you!

Like others mentioned, stay away from Dr Google! 

Having unusual things suddenly occur in your body is understandably very scary, especially unknown. It's definitely easy to be unnerved over medical information purgatory 

Having something happen to you when you are still growing is also very scary, but it just goes to show that narly health stuff doesn't always cater only to the older generation. It sounds cheesy, but you will have the benefit of appreciative life to a whole new level.

And at least you are young so healing becomes easier, and most colleges are very understandable about ailments - being unwell with something is not an automatic sever to your education, they can accommodate the situation when they receive a formal explanation. 

Hang in there! And we will all be there for you! I'm pretty sure you will be just fine, whatever results you get. Long story short, I was born with a severe kidney disease (Born during good timing, prior normally babies born with what I have die) had a buttload of major surgeries throughout my childhood and teen years, and I made it with a career, travelling, animals and a university degree, and everything is still going stable at my current age of 28.

You are a strong, awesome girl! And we wish you the best of luck and best of health. 

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much! This has been such a difficult, emotional, week for me. It means so much when I know people are supporting me, AND their responses are helping me so much! I am trying my best not to search anything on the internet, as I like to do. But in a way, I think, in small doses in can help someone. Instead of me automatically thinking it is the worst, I understand that it may not be. I will not be getting the ultrasound results today, so the earliest I get them is Monday. I can't decide if this is good or bad. If it is bad news, I don't want to hear it yet, but yet I am worrying myself crazy.

Interestingly enough, I looked at the screen when she was doing it, and I definitely saw something. So something, cyst, or lymph nodes, is involved. It only looked to be like it was one thing. However, when I feel around, I can feel multiple little bumps that feel like lymph nodes, with something harder underneath. But on the ultrasound it seems there is only one large thing, so that means the things I am feeling are too tiny to be any concern? I have no idea. Maybe it is a cyst, and the lymph nodes are being pressed up against my skin? The little bumps feel smaller than a pea. And then, further along my collar-bone, I feel a few more. But the doctor never said he felt more than one!!! I know he felt along my collar-bone, so I believe, if he felt something else out of the ordinary, he would tell me.

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, finally, a week later, I have my results. I don't know if I feel relieved, or not. Well, I AM relieved, because we narrowed things down that could be a cause for concern.

The ultrasound came back, and after reviewing it, they have decided that it is not a lymph node, which they said is GREAT.

They then proceeded to explain that the bump was part of my bone, and to just be fully careful, they said to take an x-ray.

So diseases caused by swollen lymph nodes seems to be out of the question, but now I am worrying that it still could be something bad!

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am soooo sorry for not being on! I have been so busy! The x-ray has come back normal!! However, I have been going through gastrointestinal problems recently, so that's been pretty difficult. But I am, nonetheless SO grateful.