Need some help. My poor old dolly girl has gone arthritic on me

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Giving her glyco flex plus I got from Amazon. It seems to help a little but she’s my first rescue and was a kitten when I trapped her. Now she’s at least 12 and we have a history. She is inside cat mostly but can go out in fenced yard during the day, in at night. Yep, she’s very special to me. Anybody have success with anything else?
I’m sure she’s experiencing discomfort because she limps on the front. Yep, she’s a little overweight, short stubby legs and not much on exercise…
6837C8F9-AA94-40FD-84DD-B2B0CA2590AD.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you very gradually decrease her daily calories so that she loses a little weight, very slowly. Weigh her every week or so in order to keep track.

Also, have you had her in for a wellness check? Ask the vet about solensia for feline arthritis.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! When did you start the Glyco Flex Plus? I saw some improvement in Feeby after about 2-3 weeks, although I never gave her more than one chew (despite the instructions that say to start with two). She ate those religiously for a little over 3 years, and I do think they helped her quite a bit. Once she refused those, I tried Cosequin and Dasuquin, and Noden's but she never took to any of them.

I finally relinquished to trying Solensia (as noted above), a monthly injection that after her second one, she once again improved a lot. It is newer and is not a joint supplment, but rather works to reduce pain associated with arthritis. I am glad that it is helping, but tbh, if she would have kept on taking Glyco, I would still be giving it to her.

There is also Adequan (also injections) that reduces arthritic pain but does contain some joint supplements as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! Can you very gradually decrease her daily calories so that she loses a little weight, very slowly. Weigh her every week or so in order to keep track.

Also, have you had her in for a wellness check? Ask the vet about solensia for feline arthritis.
Will try the reduced feed but I feed 7 house rescues now. Will try the vet but the last issue with her cost me $166 for office plus a shot on fixed income

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! When did you start the Glyco Flex Plus? I saw some improvement in Feeby after about 2-3 weeks, although I never gave her more than one chew (despite the instructions that say to start with two). She ate those religiously for a little over 3 years, and I do think they helped her quite a bit. Once she refused those, I tried Cosequin and Dasuquin, and Noden's but she never took to any of them.

I finally relinquished to trying Solensia (as noted above), a monthly injection that after her second one, she once again improved a lot. It is newer and is not a joint supplment, but rather works to reduce pain associated with arthritis. I am glad that it is helping, but tbh, if she would have kept on taking Glyco, I would still be giving it to her.

There is also Adequan (also injections) that reduces arthritic pain but does contain some joint supplements as well.
I give one tab but she hates meds. Been on it for a few weeks but every other day. Might bump it up to every day

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I give one tab but she hates meds. Been on it for a few weeks but every other day. Might bump it up to every day
They technically aren't meds; they are joint supplements containing glucosamine, chondroitin, green lipped mussels, MSM, & DMG - all things good for joint support. But the chews are big, and I always cut one up into 4-5 pieces to make them easier to eat. I gave them to her as treats. I'd bump it up to every day, as long as she tolerates them. I hope she does!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They technically aren't meds; they are joint supplements containing glucosamine, chondroitin, green lipped mussels, MSM, & DMG - all things good for joint support. But the chews are big, and I always cut one up into 4-5 pieces to make them easier to eat. I gave them to her as treats. I'd bump it up to every day, as long as she tolerates them. I hope she does!
Yes, I cut them into 3 balls. Also put a piece of apple in a container with the chews to soften them up. She’s VERY fussy. When I gave her the first one several weeks ago I gave it to her whole just like her cat treats. She gobbled it down and I thought, oh wow! Well it was like she saw my reaction and said to herself “ what am I doing?”. From then on I have to divide the piece into 3 pieces, soften and force her mouth open just like giving a pill.