need some experts advice on probiotics for baby cat

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
this is the ingredient list for a probiotic from "all the best" called good digestion. they say it's for cats and dogs which makes me a little nervous because cats and dogs are different but is there anything in this that would be bad for a almost four month old kitten? and do these ingredients look like they might work to firm up runny pooh? we've been using the fortiflora but not a lot of improvement with it and I don't like all the vitamins in there for baby cats. seems like they should be getting plenty from their food and I don't like the idea of possibly oding the vitamin a or e. I tried to find reviews on it but it looks like it is made for the small pet supply store all the best so nothing really out there except a couple reviews for small dogs using it.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
this is the ingredient list for a probiotic from "all the best" called good digestion. they say it's for cats and dogs which makes me a little nervous because cats and dogs are different but is there anything in this that would be bad for a almost four month old kitten? and do these ingredients look like they might work to firm up runny pooh?
I'm not an expert but I'm attaching an article on Probiotics for you to read. Please read it thoroughly.

My boy had chronic diarrhea and he refused medications and I had this on him and his diarrhea was resolved after a period of time and now he poops nice firm poo.

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi thefiresidecat thefiresidecat
Of course their are benefits in using probiotics for cats but there are pros & cons with using any unregulated suppliment for pets that are not suggested by that individual pets veterinarian. It's much safer to try a little pumpkin or rice to bulk up a kittens stool as am at home remedy than to be testing probiotics imo
Little kittens do tend to get loose ahd,/or runny feces at that young age... what does his diet consist of,how often does he eat,how much is he fed and most importantly,has he been to the Vet to discuss this issue?My advice is always to first make an appointment and discuss any concerns with your Veterinarian....let him/her suggest what is best for kitty and also probiotics recommendations if going that route...
Each animal,just like people,are different- a healthy gut is so very important,especially for the immune system and not just digestion BUT each one's microbiomes are very different and can actually perpetuate the issue depending on those microbiomes,more so with kittens than adult cats....
Have you had a consultation with your Vet?If not please make an appt-I know you want the very best for your fur baby so I'm not suggested probiotics are not beneficial,only that it is not a first line of defense to treat a symptom that can have many many causes & not necessarily be bad bacteria

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi thefiresidecat thefiresidecat
Of course their are benefits in using probiotics for cats but there are pros & cons with using any unregulated suppliment for pets that are not suggested by that individual pets veterinarian. It's much safer to try a little pumpkin or rice to bulk up a kittens stool as am at home remedy than to be testing probiotics imo
Little kittens do tend to get loose ahd,/or runny feces at that young age... what does his diet consist of,how often does he eat,how much is he fed and most importantly,has he been to the Vet to discuss this issue?My advice is always to first make an appointment and discuss any concerns with your Veterinarian....let him/her suggest what is best for kitty and also probiotics recommendations if going that route...
Each animal,just like people,are different- a healthy gut is so very important,especially for the immune system and not just digestion BUT each one's microbiomes are very different and can actually perpetuate the issue depending on those microbiomes,more so with kittens than adult cats....
Have you had a consultation with your Vet?If not please make an appt-I know you want the very best for your fur baby so I'm not suggested probiotics are not beneficial,only that it is not a first line of defense to treat a symptom that can have many many causes & not necessarily be bad bacteria

we have an appt on the 20th and we took in a pooh sample on friday. I was hoping to get something to maybe solve the problem faster than the weekend since they didn't get back to me by eod friday. depending on what the pooh sample says we might take her in to an urgent care. it's so hard to get vet appt these days. vet shortages and what not.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
we have an appt on the 20th and we took in a pooh sample on friday. I was hoping to get something to maybe solve the problem faster than the weekend since they didn't get back to me by eod friday. depending on what the pooh sample says we might take her in to an urgent care. it's so hard to get vet appt these days. vet shortages and what not.
Oh great!I'm really happy to hear that and thank you for replying-I can't imagine how hard that must be to have to wait for an appt(California?)I'm in Florida,we don't seem to have those problems,must be awful
I'd suggest a little canned pumpkin(amazing how it can firm loose stool &/or relieve constipation! And of course plain white rice mixed with his food but I'd hold back on the probiotics until consulting with the Vet
So what are you feeding her & how many times a day?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh great!I'm really happy to hear that and thank you for replying-I can't imagine how hard that must be to have to wait for an appt(California?)I'm in Florida,we don't seem to have those problems,must be awful
I'd suggest a little canned pumpkin(amazing how it can firm loose stool &/or relieve constipation! And of course plain white rice mixed with his food but I'd hold back on the probiotics until consulting with the Vet
So what are you feeding her & how many times a day?
we just got her last week. like 10 days ago. there was a little hitch with what she was eating before we got her. so the first few days there was a bit of incontinuity in what she was used to and what she got. but the foster she was in had them on science diet dry and fancy feast turkey kitten food. so that's what they're currently on. i'm not really happy with it but i'm not going to mess with her diet until she gets sorted. her brother is mostly ok. they're splitting a can maybe four or five times thru out the day (whenever their bowls are empty and they say we're hungry basically). and supplementing with dry. the vet did recommend fortiflora but i'm not happy wiht it. it hasn't fixed the problem and I don't like the vitamins in it. it seems like they could end up getting too much. we've been told no on pumpkin and rice. rice can make it worse by causing gas and same with pumpkin.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
we just got her last week. like 10 days ago. there was a little hitch with what she was eating before we got her. so the first few days there was a bit of incontinuity in what she was used to and what she got. but the foster she was in had them on science diet dry and fancy feast turkey kitten food. so that's what they're currently on. i'm not really happy with it but i'm not going to mess with her diet until she gets sorted. her brother is mostly ok. they're splitting a can maybe four or five times thru out the day (whenever their bowls are empty and they say we're hungry basically). and supplementing with dry. the vet did recommend fortiflora but i'm not happy wiht it. it hasn't fixed the problem and I don't like the vitamins in it. it seems like they could end up getting too much. we've been told no on pumpkin and rice. rice can make it worse by causing gas and same with pumpkin.
The Vet said"no" to pumpkin or rice? Or someone else?My Vet is a big fan,he's very old school as am I,lol I will never contradict what another Veterinarian says but I might suggest considering another Vet if you are dissatisfied with what your hearing-Im not thrilled with Flortiflora personally,tried it quite a few times with no significant results as far as the stool for a psyllium fiber-to be quite honest it increased their appetites so much that they were just always hungry and it certainly NOT what was needed!
The diet your kittens are on is what I've been using for quite some time ( that Science Diet kitten dry &:also the Fancy Feast kitten,both the chicken and the turkey)...I would be anxious to get those fecal results ....I think you'll have a much better idea of what's going on
Of course I agree with you that the 20th is a long way off so if the diarreah persists,like maybe a day or 2 & be at the Urgent Care,we wouldn't want the little one to get dehydrated . Shouldn't the fecal results be available by tomorrow or Tuesday,maybe you can call?I would hope you can get the results on the phone

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
no parasites. doc says that probiotic blend is fine and to go ahead and give it a try if we want to. but more strongly recommends trying to convince her to eat a bit more dry food. for a better balance of fiber. just gonna try switching all of their food over to royal canin baby cat. because good balance of everything and I've never had a kitten who didn't love it.

they say as long as she is a normal hyper active kitten and eating/drinking not to worry about her being dehydrated.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
thefiresidecat thefiresidecat
Happy to hear you spoke to your Vet and that you got good labs back👍
Sounds like you are satisfied with your consultation..... the best to you and your little family,wishing you a purrrrfectly happy,healthy long life together