Need some advice on a feral

thanatos0042

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Greetings,

I have a black and white feral we call Tux. Someone in our complex has TNR'ed him, so that's good at least.

He will come to me to feed him, he will wind around my legs and I'll go get him a can of food or fill the dry food bowl.

You can't pet this cat, you can't let your hands get near him or he freaks out. Freaks out by biting, hissing and scratching. Doesn't matter how gentle you are or how slow you do it, He strikes.

So, I was quite nervous about him winding around my legs...but it was all fine until recently. suddenly he latched onto my leg scratching and bit at my leg. I thought, well maybe it was a one off, but he did it again a few times later...and now I don't let him knew me, even though I know he crying for some attention...but my leg can't take more blood loss lol - seriously, I am immune compromised, so a bite or scratch that gets infected is a very serious issue for me.

What I'm wondering is, anyone ever seen his behavior before in a feral? I assume he has been struck and so I've been very careful to not smack at him or anything with my hands, even the couple of times he has hurt me.

Any idea what I can wrap around my legs he can't claw or easily bite through? lol.

I've never come across a feral quite like him and am not sure the best way to proceed. it's taken a long time to get him to come to us for food and shelter when the weather is awful, I am loathe to chase him away when I am out there, but I can't trust him not to strike.

So, hopefully someone has some ideas. - Thanks in advance.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me kind of like a trust issue…like he wants to be affectionate but then the survival instincts kick in. Are there thick, long legged leather boots out there? Personally it sounds rather dangerous for you, even with protection. I wonder if there is something you can build, like a catio, or a safe space (see NY Cat Man’s deck shed on this site). If you really want to tame the savage in him, this might take a good long time. He’s learning how to be affectionate. Conversation is key— just the consistent sound of your voice. It may take years (I think) to soothe the bitey out of him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanatos0042

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what I thought too, he WANTS to be affectionate, but then...RAWR.

I don't know, that's something for me to look into I think...and I do have a feral fort out there in our back yard (it's a tiny yard) so he has a place for shelter...he was in there tonight...and he walked right into the house 2 times tonight while I was getting food to take out to him...he followed me back out and ate fortunately.

I have a catio in my back yard too, for my inside cats to use and go outside lol. It's a tiny backyard, so not a lot of space in it OR the feral fort. I'm in a Townhome and you know those yards tend to be small.

thanks!

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even some boots like Bogs would probably provide enough protection. You can get fake Bogs at places like Wal-Mart for quite cheap.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gosh, that's scary. Be really careful if you bend over near him, that he doesn't lunge at your face. If it were me, I'd place his food dishes up on a table or something that doesn't require you to bend over. Let him jump up in order to eat.

If you have--or can get--a larger pair of heavy jeans, wearing two pairs of pants would give you some extra protection. How about spraying your pants legs (or boots, if you get some) with Feliway? No guarantee that would help, but maybe....

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this is relevant, but my Rascal was very aggressive when he was trapped at 4months (with his sister). So the rescue decided to TNR. But at vetting it was discovered they were both very sick with lung worm and so it was decided to treat them before release. Then they got very bad cases of herpes. At almost 7 months they were still sick with herpes, and their options were running out. Naive, I said I would foster and socialize them. Rascal attacked every time I went near them, even when I was bringing food. After several weeks I could touch them and several weeks later pet them (limited). Then something odd happened. Rascal would jump up and latch onto my leg with his claws. He really dug in and yes I know your pain. ( Heavy jeans and long socks beneath help.) After a few times I realized he was trying to keep me from leaving the foster room as he always did it as I was leaving.

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It does sound dangerous for you. I am not in the same situation medically, but I have a former feral from my neighborhood. She was quite wild at first and wouldn't eat when she saw me near the food bowl. After several months she did what yours is doing - winding around my legs when I'd come out to feed her. I did learn rather painfully that she would attack my hand if she saw movement. I figured it was because everything that moved was either dangerous or something to eat, so I learned to not let her see my hand move. And I'd put the bowl down FAST. Does he attack when you're in motion so your legs are moving? He does sound double-minded - he wants attention but doesn't trust. Maybe if he was fairly recently TNR'd the hormones are still swirling?

Please be careful, cat bites can be full of bacteria. Claws, too, especially on an outside kitty. My cat finally calmed down enough to bring her inside and she sleeps with me now - although occasionally I still have to firmly say "No!" and move away from her if she bites (never hard) when she's feeling out of sorts.

thanatos0042

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
...You can get fake Bogs at places like Wal-Mart for quite cheap.
This is a good idea, I'll look into this.

Gosh, that's scary. Be really careful if you bend over near him, that he doesn't lunge at your face. If it were me, I'd place his food dishes up on a table or something that doesn't require you to bend over. Let him jump up in order to eat.
If you have--or can get--a larger pair of heavy jeans, wearing two pairs of pants would give you some extra protection. How about spraying your pants legs (or boots, if you get some) with Feliway? No guarantee that would help, but maybe....
I am quick and careful and I put food down away from him...taking quick steps away so he has to 'catch up'. I'll have a place to put food on for him soon and I'll end up doing that for sure. I like the idea of double jeans and socks, though in Texas heat it will be murder haha....and spraying the legs with feilway might be a good plan indeed.

Not sure if this is relevant...Rascal would jump up and latch onto my leg with his claws. He really dug in and yes I know your pain. ( Heavy jeans and long socks beneath help.) After a few times I realized he was trying to keep me from leaving the foster room as he always did it as I was leaving.
Yeah, you know it seems to be AFTER he eats and I'm getting ready to go in when he winds around my legs and attacks - like he wants something else, I'm not giving it to him and he gets frustrated. I'll double up on some pants and socks and bogs with feliway...see what happens hehe. I'm not proud, just tired of scratches.

It does sound dangerous for you. I am not in the same situation medically, but I have a former feral from my neighborhood. She was quite wild at first and wouldn't eat when she saw me near the food bowl. After several months she did what yours is doing - winding around my legs when I'd come out to feed her. I did learn rather painfully that she would attack my hand if she saw movement. I figured it was because everything that moved was either dangerous or something to eat, so I learned to not let her see my hand move. And I'd put the bowl down FAST. Does he attack when you're in motion so your legs are moving? He does sound double-minded - he wants attention but doesn't trust. Maybe if he was fairly recently TNR'd the hormones are still swirling?
Please be careful, cat bites can be full of bacteria. Claws, too, especially on an outside kitty. My cat finally calmed down enough to bring her inside and she sleeps with me now - although occasionally I still have to firmly say "No!" and move away from her if she bites (never hard) when she's feeling out of sorts.
Yeah, I learned the hard way with my hands too that he would scratch and bite. He used to be pretty beaten up too, until someone got him fixed. It's been over 6 months now since that's happened. I do move fast around and around him so he doesn't feel threatened when I put food out for him. My legs have never moved when he attacked, but I have been wearing loose pants both times. I have spray on antiseptic and such and treat the wounds quickly. I have cats inside, so I definitely can't bring him in. He doesn't get along with other cats very well. We have 3 other ferals that he tolerates as long as they don't get to close.

I'm sure this cat has had it very rough and that is why he sticks around so much. He does go under the fence into the neighorhood across the street but comes back most evenings.

I appreciat eveyone's thoughts and suggestsions very much.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have spray on antiseptic and such and treat the wounds quickly.
We are all cat people here, and our natural instinct is to help them as much as possible. But what you described, with your medical history, sounds dangerous. Please be careful, especially since we still have COVID bouncing around, and one health issue can lead to being further immunocompromised, etc.

I'm not a doctor, I've just seen it with family.

I would definitely put on as much "armor" as possible whenever going anywhere near this cat. Especially with your particular medical history.

I was just thinking, what would I wear in this situation? I live in Wisconsin, so I own snow pants and winter boots. Probably those. 😂 Snow pants over jeans, with my winter boots on.

thanatos0042

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for the thought. I don't own snow pants or winter boots, but I'll take a look and see what I can find. I definitely need some better armor.

right now my armor is letting my roommate feed Tux. He doesn't swipe or bite at her like he does me, which makes me think he might have been abused by a guy.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for the thought. I don't own snow pants or winter boots, but I'll take a look and see what I can find. I definitely need some better armor.

right now my armor is letting my roommate feed Tux. He doesn't swipe or bite at her like he does me, which makes me think he might have been abused by a guy.
Cat bites can take wrong turns very, very fast. It's happened to a family member who was very healthy. She was hospitalized for a few days.

That was my main point... if you have a health condition I would personally not let any potentially violent cat anywhere near any exposed skin.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
he wants to be affectionate but then the survival instincts kick in.
It also sounds like overstimulation as well as lack of human socialization. Coming so close he trusts you a bit.

Keep an open baggie of special treats in your pocket. When he is coming towards you throw one in front of him. Once he understands what your throwing you can throw it past him. You'll get him moving away from you and still seeing you as a friend.

thanatos0042

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat bites can take wrong turns very, very fast. It's happened to a family member who was very healthy. She was hospitalized for a few days.
That was my main point... if you have a health condition I would personally not let any potentially violent cat anywhere near any exposed skin.
I understand, believe me. I try not to get too worked up about the scratches, but a bite is a far more concerning thing. A long time ago, my mother got bitten by a cat and got pretty sick from it. I try to be very careful around any unfamiliar feral and especially any that show they claw or bite.

It also sounds like overstimulation as well as lack of human socialization. Coming so close he trusts you a bit.

Keep an open baggie of special treats in your pocket. When he is coming towards you throw one in front of him. Once he understands what your throwing you can throw it past him. You'll get him moving away from you and still seeing you as a friend.
That's a very good idea about the treats, I Will have to keep some handy and give that a try as well.

Appreciate all the responses!