Need Some Advice About My Active Feline

GameJeannie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!
So I really need the advice of some other cat people. My beautiful girl, Echo, is 6yo and has lived with me for almost a year now. Fortunately, I do a lot of work from home so she gets lots of love and attention, and we have bonded so much more than I have with the other cats in my past (which I honestly didn't think was possible). When I'm out of town she is well cared for by some friends but they all agree that she just isn't the same when I'm away...when I'm here she's VERY chatty (we have long conversations) and generally likes to have me around (for some context there MAY be some separation anxiety as she previously came from a neglectful home and was a rescue).

But she's a fiercely intelligent cat, who quickly tires of toys (yes, even if presented in a rotation) and she is mostly indoors as I'm in a flat. I'm certain she lacked stimulation and, it being just the two of us at home, I've started taking her for semi-daily walks which usually last around 40min-1h. She loves these and is always begging to go outside, but the way my unit is built I have to go out with her or she can't get back inside...but I can't really do more than one hour in a day.

I'm honestly really torn. She is so special to me but I just really feel that she would be happier with more stimulation and our interactions are becoming more-and-more me telling her 'no', and her begging to go out, even with our daily walks. I just keep wondering if she would be happier in a busier home where she could go outside at will and have multiple ppl to give her love...but it would legit break my heart to see her go, and I do worry as she has struggled to bond with my other friends.

I tried bringing another feline friend of a similar age (also female and similar size) but had to rehome her after a month as they HATED each other, often having cat fights and Echo became miserable.

My only thoughts other than rehoming are to perhaps implement the walks as more of a routine or that I may have spoiled her and this calls for some tough love, but am not convinced.

I love her, but am at somewhat of a loss. My friends all think I'm nuts to worry but I just want her to have the best possible life and home. If you have any ideas I would be grateful.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn't rehome her. I know if I rehomed my cats it would break their hearts. They would be so scared. Cats don't like change at all. It sounds like she really loves you and you have a connection. I would just think of more ways to entertain her. Maybe a cat tree, cat shelves, window seats and bird feeders so she can watch the birds, interactive toys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GameJeannie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks is much for replying and validating my desire to keep her close. :-) Tbh, I've already introduced all those things into my place and, while she likes them, is bored quickly. She loves perching on her shelves and looking out the window, but it doesn't seem to keep her fulfilled...before long she just wants our again...

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Intelligent cats are the best and worst all at once, aren't they? :lol: A scheduled regular time for the walks probably will help a lot with your walk related issues (nearly all cats like routine.)

You didn't mention interactive play, so various wand toys are always good, but for an intelligent cat, they will often enjoy playing fetch and or hide and seek. Training sessions for various tricks (with proper treats of course...), can provide fun stimulation and help with behavior issues in intelligent cats ( who are more apt to try and dominate humans), and can e a lot of fun for you as well.

Some other ways to stimulate cats include in no special order:
food mazes, a well secured fish tank, a bird feeder, television (try some nature shows and you might be surprised), and a window sill perch that the cat can look outside with.

As to re-homing, my gut tells me that odds are your cat would not be happier. Busy homes have busy people, and, generally young kids (who are generally not great with cats, as a rule), who are going to be prioritized over your cat. Obviously, you know better than me, but that is just my gut instinct.

GameJeannie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Intelligent cats are the best and worst all at once, aren't they? :lol:
Preach!

You didn't mention interactive play, so various wand toys are always good, but for an intelligent cat, they will often enjoy playing fetch and or hide and seek. Training sessions for various tricks (with proper treats of course...), can provide fun stimulation and help with behavior issues in intelligent cats ( who are more apt to try and dominate humans), and can e a lot of fun for you as well.
Hmm, I have tended to take her for a long walk OR engaged in interactive play (you're right...She loves wands!) but perhaps I will try mixing these more as well as ensuring they are scheduled. She's unfortunately not super keen on bird tv, so to speak, but you both mentioned feeders, and I will try that as well...I had one that just kept falling down and I gave up but should try again.

Thank you to both of you again! You have made me feel like less of a terrible cat mama and given me good ideas to pursue!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, cats love going outside unfortunately, my boy cat threw a fit when I brought him inside for good. But your cat wants to go outside and be with you. She doesn't want to live somewhere else, trust me. That would just scare her. I like the idea of a schedule, that way she could look forward to going out on her leash at a certain time of day. My cats love schedules, they seem to do pretty much the same things everyday.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: I can't really offer advice on Echo's desire to go outside, but I did want to comment on her not getting along with the cat you brought to be her friend.

I've heard that 2 female cats are the least likely to bond. I've read that a female cat is most likely to bond with a younger male cat that will allow her to be the dominant one. Of course, there are exceptions to every "rule", but perhaps you could try again with getting her a friend.

Did you go through the lengthy introductions with them? That also makes a difference.

For future reference, here are the TCS articles on cat introductions:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

GameJeannie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've heard that 2 female cats are the least likely to bond. I've read that a female cat is most likely to bond with a younger male cat that will allow her to be the dominant one. Of course, there are exceptions to every "rule", but perhaps you could try again with getting her a friend.
Ahh, this is really good to know re: female cats! I actually have a good friend with six cats, who said that her female cats got along best, which is why I decided to go that way!

Did you go through the lengthy introductions with them? That also makes a difference.
I did work really hard to introduce them properly, but everytime they seemed to be getting along, and I would let them be together they quickly devolved...I ended up finding Pixel a new place (conventiently a friend was looking for a cat, and her son loved him) when Echo started getting ill with stress.

Lol, sorry for the ramble, but thanks so much for the suggestions!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could also be that Echo wouldn't want to share her home, and you, with anyone! I'm pretty sure my Ruby is perfectly content being her "mama's only cat". :catlove:

Here's another article on the subject, and ironically it suggests that "A mature female may do better with a younger female cat (though not necessarily a kitten)." so I guess there's not set rule. :)
Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty

GameJeannie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could also be that Echo wouldn't want to share her home, and you, with anyone! I'm pretty sure my Ruby is perfectly content being her "mama's only cat". :catlove:
I suspect that Ruby and Echo may be the same in that way!

But with that pretty little fact of Ruby's, that's probably not the worst thing. :)