Need Rescue Help

texasgmp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am in East Texas and trying to find an active rescue group somewhere local around Van Zant county.
I am over my head in cats . I cared for some ferals for awhile that had kittens. Which I still have several from each litter. My 14yrold queen and 24 others from 9yrs down to 18 months.
This year my population exploded when one of the young females let herself and several others out, she learned how to open the door latch.
She did this twice and I have ended up with 3 litters for a total of 13 kittens. 8 are 6 months on 11/23. The other 5 are not weaned yet.
Up until this point I had been very careful about not letting any of them outside and had no idea she had learned this trick. Now she is penned with her kittens where she can not get at that door again.
And I know spay and neuter... but that takes money I don't have. And finding homes around here that will nueter & keep a cat indoors is almost impossible ,as most here consider cats desposible even though we had put bulls and other dogs that roam free and kill cats. That is what happened to the original ferals that I could never catch, eventually the dogs got them. Makes me terribly sad when that happens and is the reason I have so many inside now.
The only shelters around here are kill shelters, and I can't let these beautiful cats be put down. I have spent what money I have feeding and caring for them. They are all gentle and good house cats. Many are really quiet lap cats, a couple are a little more independent or nervous. All are good about the litter boxes and the males are used being kenneled part time in large crates using water bottles. They get out for exercise, brushing and laptime everyday. The females have the run of their whole area except when boys are out, then they are in another room. All the cats allow nails to be clipped and eyes/ears cleaned. I have done everything I can to make them adoptable, short of nuetering which I can't afford on my SSA income.
I have a part Maine coon male 2y , blonde tabby male 18 m, 2 manx sisters 18m 1is gray tabby calico other is a mackrel tabby, 2 dilute calico sisters 6 m 1 is gray,peach&white, other is red,black&white, both are tiny cats under 6lbs. This is just a few that need homes. IMG_20170511_122226.jpg
I desperately need to find some help to nueter and find homes for at least half of these cats and kittens as soon as possible.
I have tried searching the internet for rescue groups around here but all the ones I tried contacting didn't respond to emails or their phones were no longer in service.
Any help that anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You poor thing - - I can only imagine how overwhelmed and how desperate you must be!!! I can't imagine trying to take care of that many - - from a time, money and worry perspective alone! But I also understand why you feel letting them outside sentence them to what would probably be a short and very difficult lives. And I can't imagine trying to shuffle that many to avoid male/female interaction - no wonder you 're feeling you're in too deep.

I wish I could help as far as adoption, but we're personally at our monetary limit while we care for...well, let's just say too many ;) And I know shelters are generally so busy - and stretched to the limits (I know the one I help has 50 fosters kittens right now).

What I can offer is that I can try to help you spread the word about these sweet little (and big) ones ----social media can do amazing things! Last summer we fostered a gorgeous dilute calico longhair who had been literally starving herself to death at the shelter out of fear (and the she was extremely cat-aggressive, and neither issue make her attractive to potential adopters. But I started pushing her on all kinds of social media, begging friends to share the word - and before we knew it, a wonderful woman from Chicago drove 4 1/2 hours to meet Rosie....and subsequently adopted her!!!! So you never know!

I'll also start digging online for you. And I'll talk to the "higher ups" ato see if they have any suggestions you and I aren't coming up with :)

So hang in there- hopefully other forum members will have suggestions too. Hang in there --sometimes it "takes a village!" :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texasgmp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Appreciate your willingness to help media wise and research. You should have my contact info in case you come across anything.

Shar371

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heya T texasgmp , I'm also in Texas. Isn't Van Zandt near to Dallas? Have you tried contacting Dallas Pets Alive? I've had a lot of friends work with the Austin branch, and I'm getting involved in the Houston bunch... They're pretty adamant about moving to no-kill for the cities they operate in. If nothing else, I'd hope they can hook you up with some resources in your area for spay/neuter or help link you up with fosters and folks who might want to adopt. I don't know about the Dallas bunch, but Austin and Houston are very active on facebook.

Good luck!

texasgmp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks I can use any assistance you can provide. Ideal would be some fosters willing to take on some of these kittens and older cats. Or some vet that is willing to do some nuetering, especially my older males but all of them need to be done.
Right now I could sure use a supply of antibiotic eye gel and something for sniffles as all my 6month olds are affected but none of the older cats.
I really appreciate your replies.
If anyone could donate a few 30 inch cages the kind that fold with a slide in tray, those would be hugely beneficial. I need 4 for male kittens to be separated now from all the queens.
Hopefully by the time the latest litter needs separating, some of these others will have found forever homes.

texasgmp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1511499784195-1086045020.jpg
1511500271701780816060.jpg
a couple more photos.
Photo in the original post is of Prescious and her kittens when they were little.
Pictures here are if Rosie and 4 of her five. One is too busy for pictures.
Other pic is of 2 of Prescious's kitten, Fluffy and Memer now at 6 months. The other 6 are hiding and asleep in a dark corner, so pics of those next time.