Need Reassurance re: Dental Work

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

Just being my usual chronic worrier. At her exam in July-ish, we found that Sassy (12 year old rescue, otherwise perfectly healthy) had two, possibly three cavities that would probably require extraction. Both were visible in the exam, one on each of her rearmost top teeth, and a very small dark bump on her lower gum that the doctor did not believe to be cancerous and did not seem painful. Due to expense, I had to put it off until January. Sassy's behavior in this time has not changed at all - she's, well she's not particularly active, but she's 12. So she's active for a senior indoor cat. She eats, drinks, poops, pees, and plays normally - especially eating. Dry food, wet food, treats, people food, you name it. She's always looking for something to snack on. The doctor prescribed me pain medication (gabapentin) but it was a huge dose (50mg twice a day for a 9.8lb cat) and Sassy finds being sedated very upsetting, so I've basically been giving her a very small amount after dinner once a day. Not sure if it's helping, but it can't be hurting.

Over the past few days Sassy's breath has gotten quite a bit worse, but she has no other symptoms - she's acting the way she always does (maybe a little bit sleepier but it is winter and she is old).

I guess I just need reassurance from more experienced people (Sassy is my first cat) that she is going to be okay waiting for a few more weeks to get those teeth pulled as I know dental issues, if left untreated, can cause very serious health issues, but I assume that if these issues were so serious that she was at risk for other problems she would have some symptom other than "bad breath." It occurs to me that I have also switched her wet food out due to supply chain issues, so that could also be causing the bad breath and I really could be worrying about absolutely nothing. :)

Anyway, just looking for some support and reassurance that I did the right thing for my little buddy and that if we were at that stage of "dental problem," Sassy would let me know.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The bad breath is probably caused by tartar build up. Usually when the breath gets bad, it's time to take them in to see if they need a dental. You're at that stage where you're now just waiting for the appointment time to get here, so I think you're fine. I know with our Vet, we first have to schedule an office visit, then they tell is they need a dental, then it might be several weeks (sometimes up to six weeks) before we can actually get on the calendar.

Did the Vet prescribe pain meds because of the cavities? I've actually never heard of that before, but every Vet is different. I would say as long as she is still eating fine, you're good to go. I mean, there are no guarantees, since mouth issues can lead to all kinds of other issues, but I really do think she should be ok to wait. If any doubts, call your Vet and ask them what they think about the timing, based on this new info (bad breath).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet prescribed the pain meds in case she was hiding pain from the cavities. She doesn't appear to be in pain, but I guess that's what "hiding" it would be. The breath isn't bad just hanging out, even if she's got her face in mine I can't smell it and she's not drooling or anything, but when she yawns it's a big blast of stinkier-than-usual kitty air. January was the soonest they could get her in, so unless things get worse I will continue to not worry, especially since I finally got her normal food again this morning so I will be able to see how the diet is impacting the breath.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet prescribed the pain meds in case she was hiding pain from the cavities. She doesn't appear to be in pain, but I guess that's what "hiding" it would be. The breath isn't bad just hanging out, even if she's got her face in mine I can't smell it and she's not drooling or anything, but when she yawns it's a big blast of stinkier-than-usual kitty air. January was the soonest they could get her in, so unless things get worse I will continue to not worry, especially since I finally got her normal food again this morning so I will be able to see how the diet is impacting the breath.
It sounds like it may well be her food, but a vet visit would be good, just to make sure. All the best to you and her, and hope you'll update us!

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s going in for her pre-dental exam next weekend (not this weekend but the one after), I am just a worrier :)

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I've switched her back to Tiki Cat and her breath is back to normal - the Feline Natural "Lamb and Salmon" feast was very popular but also quite fragrant out of the can, so it makes sense it would have been a contributing factor! I am less worried now.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I booked her blood work for the week before her surgery as I got confirmation from my pet insurance that they would cover it, so I save having to pay the deductible twice in December and January. I brought my concerns up to the vet and they agreed that if she was acting normal there's probably no need to bring her in immediately. Thanks for the reassurance, y'all.