Need Ideas For Charities To Donate Hand-made Jewelry To

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I love making costume jewelry. I am trying to sell it on eBay, but I had to relist all of it, no takers. I can't wear it, due to metal allergies, even though I really like my designs. I find it relaxing to do, and the shops here have GREAT sales on the jewelry parts.

I hit upon the idea of regularly making it, and then sending it to a charity for them to sell to benefit someone (I would get no funds from the sales).

I can't think of any charities that would specifically want jewelry. Any ideas? Thanks!

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Etsy would be a better place to try selling it than eBay. You might want to give it a try and you could still donate the money to charity if you wanted to.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Rather than raising money, what about a direct donation? When women and girls are bad off, people think of the basics but how many people think of the spirit, that a little bit of luxury and pampering can make the world of difference for someone without the money to splurge. I'd contact homeless shelters and battered women's shelters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Rather than raising money, what about a direct donation? When women and girls are bad off, people think of the basics but how many people think of the spirit, that a little bit of luxury and pampering can make the world of difference for someone without the money to splurge. I'd contact homeless shelters and battered women's shelters.
That's what I would like to do--make and give it away.

As for Etsy, it's good idea. I did start a shop there last month, but you have to sign up to find oout about all of the annoying terms, rules, etc. they have, which turned me off, so I went back to eBay.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about some of the second-hand stores run by churches and hospitals? I'll bet they would love to have your jewelry. Even Goodwill would likely take it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I did revise my ebay auctions to donate 10% of each sale to the American Red Cross, to help Hurricane Harvey victims, so I feel a bit better. I still have about 10-12 pieces to list! (And, not charity, but I just sold a $50 gift card that was given to me a few months ago--I don't use the products, though it was very sweet of them to give it to me!!!)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our shelter has a thrift store and all proceeds of anything they sell goes to the shelter.
Your town may have something similar.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Perhaps you can check with the pediatric floor of your local hospital especially prior to the holidays when they frequently pass out gifts to the children.