Need help

amccurdy58

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oct 2022, I trapped 2 feral kittens, approx 4 months old, had shots, and got fixed. I will be moving in June of 2023 and need help as to how I will move them. I cannot touch the female, she still hisses if I get too close. The male comes and snuggles but I am only beginning stages of picking him up, sometimes works sometimes doesn't. I cannot trap them again. It has taken me 7 months to get to this point. The female just began getting on the bed but stays at the end. I have been working on getting rid of the fleas, which is going well. I can put a topical on the male but not the female (I can't touch her). I am able to get both of them a pill by crushing it up and putting it in their food. I went to a Vet to inquire about getting something to put them to sleep but since he hasn't seen them, so he won't give me anything. I don't know what to do. I thought of researching something to make them sleep like liquid melatonin but I don't want to hurt them. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi A amccurdy58 Welcome to TCS. Thank you for taking such good care of these two.

It is possible to move them, even the feisty little girl. I moved house with a colony of 20+ semi feral cats. You just have to give yourself plenty of time. Will you be moving using your own car? I suggest you work out what size dog crate you can fit in your car/move with the help of a friend and work on getting them used to it.

Set it up in the room they usually hang out in. Wire the door open so they don't get trapped in there before you're ready to move. Cover the top with a blanket and put things that smell of the cats inside. Beds, cardboard scratchers, that kind of thing. You want them to think of the crate as a safe, fun place to hang out. You could put some extra yummy treats in there, or leave cat nip, valerian leaves, a tub of cat grass inside.

When it's time to move shut the female in there when you get chance. The day before the move is OK. If she's going to be in the crate for any length of time she'll need a litter box or some of those puppy pee pads as a toilet. Use the blanket to cover the crate completely when it's being moved. If the cats get on well and the crate is big enough it's OK to move them both in the same crate.

How far away is the new place? Will you able to go there in advance and set up a cat room for them?

Last edited:

FileSponge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm new here myself and was browsing messages when yours caught my attention.

I've been helping stray/homeless & ferral cats for years, and currently i'm being a cushion for Holly & Felix. Holly sounds muchlike your frightened cat, and even after 12 years with me she's still got her frightened personality, but I believe that if you're kind and love them, they do eventually get closer. Holly can hide for days if startled but i've found all 10 i've cared for do come back to us after being transported or vetted ;-). I bought a large foldable fabric carrier with mesh windows and zipped access to transport my more aggitated friends for about £14 and its the best way i've found so far. I tried many standard box type carriers, and had 2 cats even manage to crack the boxes apart and run off during transport (both came back home, they knew where was warm & had food!).

Holly is kicking me here while dreaming lol - must know im typing about cats 🙃

Im ranting on here sorry, but i'd suggest these things to keep your friends happy.... 1) get them the type of 'material' carrier thats much nicer than an echoey plastic hard box with a little doorway, 2) get them a heated mat so they feel cosy and learn fast where 'home' is and where is safe, 3) bribe them with treats! but find the ones they love most to help gain their trust from greed lol, 4) if possible, try to not let your own fear become theres - moving house/seeing vets/meeting visitors, any of it, its just new things & they seem to pick up a lot from 'our' anxiety, so do what you can to stop your own worries (near impossible, i know).

One last bit - once they know you even slightly, they have a tiny bit of trust i think, and you can build on that. A calming voice, not stressed or irritated, really helps. Stay calm and happy and i think they warm to enjoying that.

I wish you the very best in getting along and with the big move 👍

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are calming treats you can buy on Amazon and Walmart, online, they are supposed to help. Is there any way to contact the vet who spayed them, he may help. I tell my vet they are feral and will NOT be brought to the vet and he usually helps all he can, but we are a farm community. I hope you get something that helps!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just rescued a feral/stray and I was afraid that I'd scare him off or make him skittish but it went unexpectedly well.
We were planning on taking him in, some time during the summer but he turned up hurt so we had to get him to the vet.

I just grabbed him, put him in a carrier and hauled him off to the vet. It took three tries to get him in the carrier and I got scratched in the process. All the while, I was certain that he'd be afraid of me, forever. Ironically, things went the opposite way. The little guy turned into a Velcro kitty, almost immediately! As soon as I walk into the room, he's on my lap, purring and wanting pets.

My point is, just do what you gotta' do. Be as careful as you can, of course, but just do it.
Put on a heavy jacket and wear leather gloves if you have to. Throw a towel or a blanket over the cat, scoop him up and take him to the vet or move him with you to your new place. It might be a hassle. There might be a lot of scuffling and noise but you know it's for the better.

I don't know whether it's true but I believe that cats understand that their humans have their best interests at heart. They might not like being taken to the vet or moved to a new house but they know it's for the better. Once they get back from the vet or get settled into their new home, I think they understand that their human only wanted to help them.

I think our new cat became a snuggler because he was so thankful to have a home where he could be safe and have a human to take care of him.

I'm sure your cats will be okay once you do the deed and there's also a good chance that they'll turn out like our new kitty did and love you even more! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amccurdy58

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to everyone that reached out to me. I am getting today a large cage and covering it. I will place grass at the door. The heating pad sounds like a good idea. I will put catnip in and some toys with cat treats. I have 2.5 months before I move. The suggestions were extremely helpful. I will let you know how it is going. Have a blessed day!