Need Help!

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
(Reposting in this catergory because I wasn’t sure where it fit!)
Hi there cat community!
First off I wanted to say I’m super excited to have an outlet to talk about one of the biggest things in my life! Cats! I have two kittens right now aged 22 weeks and 12 weeks! This post is about something a little different though....

My grandma had 11 cats dumped on her property in a year (she lived next to a farm) she didn’t know anything about tnr and rescources so the cats are all unfixed to our knowledge. This year two mother cats had kittens with the total being around 5-6 per cat. Well...unfortunately the kittens just started dying one after one. We had a bout of freezing rain and snow on the 14-17th of April, they were born on the 16th. We also noticed a male cat harassing the kittens and found a kitten with clear signs it has been killed. They were all left out on my grandmas porch and the male cat was actually in by the kittens, taking them onto the porch to freeze to death. It is starting to get warmer out now, but we are down to five kittens. One which I suspect to have a case of ophthalmia. The mother is feral so my grandma and I can’t take them in (I live 2 hours away from her) and I have already found homes for all of the kittens. My initial plan was to work slowly over the next few weeks with the mother but I’m not sure if that is an option anymore as we don’t have enough space and I do have other cats I also don’t know the mothers health history...so I’ve been thinking of making the tough decision for the kittens sake and taking them in as a foster. I do have all of the needed fostering materials as I have been gathering up to foster this year...this is an ethical debate in my head though lol. I’m willing to provide the around the clock care that they need but, even though we try to, in ways we will never be as good as mama. My main concern is that these kittens will die or come down with various other problems such as worms, parasites, or infections from being outside which happened with kittens my grandma had from a similar situation about 10 years ago.... theirsurvival is very important to me but I also do not want to just rip them from their mother if I don’t feel that it’s absolutely necissary. To me this is life and death for them, but I still can’t come to terms with it. I feel like everyday they are out there, it is another chance of death for them....does anyone have any input on this situation? If I did take them, the soonest would be when they are two weeks old. I have equipped myself with a large large tin of kmr, syringes, miracle nipples, and two separate bottles. Along with a scale, heating pad,blankets, and a safe place for them to be...I also have opthalmic ointment , dewormer, and 24 hours of the day to dedicate to them. What do you think I should do??

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any way you could do TNR on the Mom. YOu could trap her, take her to get spayed. Next you could get the kittens and have them waiting for Mom's return. You might be able to work on socializing the kittens and allow the Mom to continue to feed the kittens. Once the kittens are weaned you could release Mom.

It is most important that the Mom cat be spayed or she will only continue to reproduce. Have you called in a rescue group for help in doing TNR on the remaining cats? You will continue to have this problem until all of the cats are spayed/neutered.

The kittens that live also will need to be spayed or neutered. If you socialize and adopt them out, you cannot depend on someone else to spay/neuter them. THey can be spayed/neutered at 8 weeks or 2 lbs. It depends on your vet.

You really need to concentrate on getting all of the cats TNR'd. You will continue to see litter after litter of cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought I mentioned it above but evidently I did not lol. We are working with a tnr program called cats anonymous. I knew they would continue to reproduce. My rehoming program is pretty extensive as well, but unless it is a large cat colony where I’m from there aren’t many resources for tnr. I defiantly can’t afford to spay or neuter right now and vets don’t take payment plans near me. I have two other kittens who just had to be spayed and neutered and get all of their shots. My rehoming program requires spaying and neutering in the legal contract we both sign. Since the cats are feral our concern is mainly that she will move them somewhere and we won’t be able to find them if I try and interact them, she is pretty feral.