Need help with other cat now

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that is at least 17 yrs old. Two years ago she suddenly was diabetic. She on insulin twice a day and the diet for it. The insulin amount was dropped more then once and then last year twice her sugar dropped way to low and she went into sugar shock, My other diabetic cat did the same thing later that year. I had her retested every few months and the last time was June this summer. About a month ago my vet told me I could put them all back on dry food so they could graze. 2 weeks ago I took this cat to be checked over because she was doing head/ear/face twitching. Different vet said her ears were loaded with wax. Tested the stuff in her ear to make sure it was just wax and it was. Said she had a bad tooth so gave her an antibiotic shot and then since she was there I told her I wanted her sugar checked. It was 510! Took away the dry food and put her back on canned food 3 times a day only like she always had. Took her back today because she needed a recheck (twitching still happening) and her sugar is now 147. I'm thinking she doesn't need anymore insulin but he says keep her on it. Her daughters sugar was checked today (she was diabetic too and off insulin) is 247 and he doesn't want her put back on insulin. Am I crazy for thinking something is wrong? Shouldn't the cat with 247 sugar be put back on insulin and the other one off? I swear I don't know who to believe anymore. Vet didn't say anything more about the twitching so I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about leaving her off insulin for a few days and see what happens. If the twtiching stops then I stop the insulin all together. I am so afraid she will go into sugar shock and was just lucky it happened at early evening both times. What happens if it happens during the night while I'm in bed and I don't see her? I have lost faith in medicine. Think it's just all a guessing game.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I wanted to mention this regarding head twitching, with the understanding that as far as you know your cats are only dealing with diabetes;

From felinecrf .org
Twitching may be caused by high blood pressure. Other causes of twitching include high or low potassium levels, high phosphorus levels, calcium imbalances (especially head twitching), hyperthyroidism or vitamin B deficiency. Twitching may also be caused by high toxin levels.

I found that when I added a tiny amount of B Complex vitamin to Poppycat's diet his head twitching stopped.

(The page I'm linking to below is for hypertension, but the information about twitching is a little more general). It is partway down the page, just across from the bottom of the lefthand column--where there's info about the site owner.)
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - All About Hypertension

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Blood work today showed all was good. They didn't mention high blood pressure. High blood pressure caused my other cat to go partially blind and a heart murmur and I was the one who mention it to them about that (found it on the internet) and they did the test and sure enough she had high blood pressure. Otherwise, it never would have been checked. I will have to call and ask them tomorrow. Thank you for the information..just called the office about it. Girl on the phone didn't sound too happy about my question but she will pass it on to the vet. Won't hear back until tomorrow and then that's a maybe because they don't always call.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll get additional info if you post on the FelineDiabetes.com message board, if you're not already a member there.

Stress from the being at the vet's office is known to cause elevated blood glucose levels. I'd check the levels at home, especially before giving the insulin shot to avoid a potential hypo episode in a few hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You'll get additional info if you post on the FelineDiabetes.com message board, if you're not already a member there.

Stress from the being at the vet's office is known to cause elevated blood glucose levels. I'd check the levels at home, especially before giving the insulin shot to avoid a potential hypo episode in a few hours.
Thank you for the website. I know stress can elevate it and that's why I don't really want to give her insulin anymore.