Need help with newborn kitten

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I honestly didn't know where to put this post as it fits under so many topics. I will try to be as brief as possible.
I have 2-3 feral cats who have been living in my yard for 7-8 years. They know their names, respond, and come regularly to eat meals. I provide them with warm winter refuge and food and water. I cannot pet them as they won't allow it.
Three years ago, one of them gave birth to a kitten. I adopted that kitten a few months after it was weaned. Then, I TNR. So, I know she can't get pregnant. Since then, Snowball has been bringing a kitten or two every year. She probably gets them from the various farms nearby farms. I trap the kittens and hand them over to the local shelter. Since they are kittens (usually between 3-4 months old), they get adopted pretty quickly. I don't understand this behavior and she does this repeatedly. I usually discover a kitten hopping around with her and I feed it cat food till I trap it. Can someone explain this compulsive behavior about cats? I have never experienced it and I have had cats for 20 years.
A few days ago, she brought a kitten and has hidden it in the winter hut and snarls and hisses if I go in that direction. So, I knew something was up. Today, I got a glimpse of it as she left it for a few minutes to eat. The kitten was definitely moving, is very very tiny--probably under 2 weeks. Eyes are closes and ears are folded. As far as I know, she has never brought a kitten that young.
I am sure mama Snowball is very competent but she doesn't have milk to feed the kitten. As I cannot touch the kitten without getting my skin torn off, what can I do to help? Will the kitten survive without milk from foster mother?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, the kitten cannot survive without milk. A kitten that tiny needs syringe feeding every 1-2 hours, so you MUST rescue this kitten and hand-raise it, unless you can find its mother.

When Snowball was spayed, a bit of ovarian tissue must have been left behind, thus she likely has hormonal cycles that put her in a “mothering” mode, and she finds a kitten to care for, except it’s highly unlikely that milk would come in for this baby.

Please try to entice Snowball from the nest and save the kitten. Perhaps give Snowball a soft plush animal to snuggle and “mother.” I’m sure she means well, but in this case the real kitten is too tiny.

Please keep us posted! oyster oyster

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have a pet store near me. Amazon won't deliver till tomorrow (if that). So, what can I feed the kitten till then?
I bought some "cat milk" which has 0.1% of lactose. It is recommended to feed from 6 weeks on... I could mix some egg yolk with that. I don't have corn syrup nor access to any.
I have also called the local shelter for advice. They just said to take the kitten in.
I have ordered the kitten formula but what can I feed it till it arrives? And how? I don't have teats or bottles... I do have some latex gloves. Can I attach those to a syringe and feed?
I have a shoebox with straw and a towel with a heating pad at the bottom plus a sock with rice. Will that do?
The kitten has been with Snowball for 5 days now. I am guessing it is very weak but has survived so far. I don't know how.
When it rains, it pours....Oyster, my cat, is not eating so I have had to force feed him since last night.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, mix an egg into the treat milk. Use the syringe with no needle, and hold the kitten tummy down, head up to feed. Go drop by drop in the side of the mouth. Allow the kitten to swallow and breathe, and go again. You can wrap the kitten in a towel with only its head out to feed — like a burrito. Feed every hour initially,

Your nest sounds fine, and good Amazon will bring the kitten formula tomorrow. Which one did you order?

Can you weigh the kitten in grams? Let us know the weight for feeding amounts. Try to get 1-2mLs each feeding; more if the kitten wants it.

Gently stimulate the kitten’s bottom before and after each feeding for pee and poop. Use a damp cloth or wipe (no alcohol).

oyster oyster

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't have a pet store near me. Amazon won't deliver till tomorrow (if that). So, what can I feed the kitten till then?
I bought some "cat milk" which has 0.1% of lactose. It is recommended to feed from 6 weeks on... I could mix some egg yolk with that. I don't have corn syrup nor access to any.
I have also called the local shelter for advice. They just said to take the kitten in.
I have ordered the kitten formula but what can I feed it till it arrives? And how? I don't have teats or bottles... I do have some latex gloves. Can I attach those to a syringe and feed?
I have a shoebox with straw and a towel with a heating pad at the bottom plus a sock with rice. Will that do?
The kitten has been with Snowball for 5 days now. I am guessing it is very weak but has survived so far. I don't know how.
When it rains, it pours....Oyster, my cat, is not eating so I have had to force feed him since last night.
Your suggestion is ok...

If you or your neighbor happen to have milk for human babies it can be used, just dilute less.

Goats milk is ok if you have.

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The shelter that said to bring the kitten in... Did they clarify whether they will find a foster, or will they euthenase it? If it's the former, the foster may have kitten milk for you if Amazon doesn't deliver on time.

But if the kitten hasn't eaten in 5 days it will be very weak and dehydrated and may not be able to digest milk. So for the first meal or two, you could try just giving pedialyte, before starting on kmr.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
H HeyKat

I read this as the shelter asked the OP to bring the kitten inside her home to care for it; not to bring the kitten to the shelter.

Update: And now I see that it was meant for her to bring the kitten in to the shelter once a foster was located. All’s well that ends well! 😊

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, what seems to be going on with Oyster?

And how has Snowball reacted to the kitten being taken? I’m wondering if the kitten nursed Snowball enough to bring on lactation, or even just colostrum. I guess we’ll know once you evaluate the kitten’s condition and weight, and see if it is dehydrated or thriving.

oyster oyster

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, we have had a very adventurous afternoon. I was easily able to grab the kitten. She is about a week old with the umbilical cord still attached. Unfortunately, I didn't think to weigh her.
The shelter called and said they had found a foster mom for her. So, I kept her warm till I could drop her off. Yay!
She is extremely feisty and strong for a newborn. She tried to crawl out of her box several times. This meant that I had to sit with her the entire time which was not ideal as I have to feed Oyster every 30 min. But anyhow, I managed and ironically saw the cycle of life before my eyes--Oyster in his old age (17 yrs.) and a newborn, I named Miracle.
After feeding her evaporated milk, mixed with an egg yolk, pedialyte, and pork gelatin (can't find corn syrup in Germany), she went to sleep. I fed her about 2 ml. She was not dehydrated at all. This makes me think that Snowball definitely fed her and that she is lactating somehow. The lady who picked her up is a feline expert and said that the kitten was surprisingly in excellent health. Also, I have been feeding Snowball a lot more and this makes me suspect she may have been lactating. Snowball is calling out for her and is sitting at my doorstep because she knows the drill.
I did stimulate the kitten and fed her as you described, Sarthur2. Fortunately, I had watched a youtube video earlier so I was more confident in handling her.
I have ordered goat kitten milk formula because I suspect we will see repeat incidents in the future. I have already adopted two of Snowball's kittens so I sure hope she won't bring anymore. I am certain she will. Oh and the local shelter knows us by name as we bring 2-3 kittens every year.
Thank you so much for all your help. I have more experience and hopefully, the right tools if this happens next time. Miracle is on her way to happier and safer times, I hope.

I will update on Oyster on his thread.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you so much for this update and photo. Snowball is surely lactating, bless her heart. I am with you in that she will likely find another kitten for herself! Maybe she can raise it next time since we know she is capable of lactating!

I’ll look into your other thread on Oyster.

Prayers that the kitten will find a lovely forever home when he is ready! You did a beautiful, capable job with him. I feel badly for Snowball now that she’s pining for him.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent news!

One remark: As you live in Germany, not USA, perhaps you can find and get home glucose sugar / dextrose?
This is useful in many situations, in emergencies and otherwise too... Its also used in baking, as it has a mild sweetness.

You will surely sooner or later get use for this.

It seems to be difficult to find for consumers in USA, this is why most rescuers in USA use white caro syrup or honey...
But the real thing is better...

oyster oyster

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Latest: Just wanted you to know that Miracle was checked by the vet and given a clean bill of health. Also found that Snowball has swollen teats so she was definitely lactating which is incomprehensible. She was neutered 4 years ago when she had her one kitten. Maybe I got her neutered too soon after the birth of her kitten? He was 5-6 months old when I took him in.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One remark: As you live in Germany, not USA, perhaps you can find and get home glucose sugar / dextrose?
This is useful in many situations, in emergencies and otherwise too... Its also used in baking, as it has a mild sweetness.

You will surely sooner or later get use for this.

It seems to be difficult to find for consumers in USA, this is why most rescuers in USA use white caro syrup or honey...
But the real thing is better...

oyster oyster
Will do...good to know. I have ordered the goat milk formula for now but if Snowball is lactating, I am hoping I won't ever have to use it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s not unheard of for a dog or cat to begin lactating in order to nurse non-biological babies. The act of suckling stimulates the hormones to begin producing.

oyster oyster

Last edited: