Need Help With Kittens, Please!

Emellie&meredith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  1. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME. I had my kitten a total of 4 days of perfectly healthy before she got diarrhea to what I believe was a food change. I took no chances and took her to the vet where they prescribed .1cc of metronidazole twice a day until the bottle ran out. Two days later after she started my kitten of two months had a seizure lasting under a minute. She has had a seizure once a day for the past 3 days. I took her to the vet yesterday and the gave her probiotics for her diarrhea and said that she had lose glucose and that was causing the seizures. They gave me a tube of high calorie gel food. I do not believe them. My kitten can't even walk anymore. She kind of stumbles but I don't want her to hurt herself so I don't let her. I am at my wits end and my heart cannot take watching her slowly deteriorate. Has anyone else had an experience like mine??? I feel so terribly guilty and depressed for giving this life to this perfect kitten. PLEASE HELP US!!!( i don't know how to use this site so idk what it meant by add members sorry

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Emellie&meredith Emellie&meredith

How old is your kitten? Is she able to eat wet food?

Has the diarrhea stopped now?

Please get unflavored pedialyte and begin syringing 1-2mLs into your kitten each hour.

Please buy PetAg powdered formula and begin giving this to her as well. She may be low on calcium.

Please take her to a new vet for another opinion.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten is two months?? Still you can give her kmr, best this mentioned by PetAg powdered formula. Stage 1, not stage 2. If you can find raw goats milk it may be even better.

Pedialyte does contain some glucose sugar, so it will help her with a good contend of glucose in blood and body fluids.

Otherwise you can make your own home made pedialyte: 1 cup of water, 1 teaspoon of honey, a tiny trifle salt. Mix by boiling up, let it cool down to body temperature...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, please stop the metronidazole immediately.

If the kitten still has diarrhea she can be put on the milder Albon.

Please update us when you can!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emellie&meredith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she is two months or younger. She's been off of metronidazole for a day and a half. She just had another horrible seizure. I can't bare to see her like this. She is completely lifeless and unable to move much. I'm thinking of euthanizing her even if with all my heart and soul I don't want to. I'm going to make the diy pedialyte right now. I welcome any suggestions/advice.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Questions:

Can you see another vet for a second opinion?

Has the diarrhea stopped?

Can she eat wet food?

Can you buy kitten formula?

Emellie&meredith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At first I gave her wet food but then switched to milk replacement when she got diarrhea. I've been giving her milk replacement for about 5 days now. Since yesterday I've mixed in probiotics in her milk. Her diarrhea is more firm but still not completely normal. I myself am 17 and I can't afford to see another vet again. She was completely health and playful when I found her. I never expected this heartache

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get some Panacur for her. A 7 day dose if you can afford it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Emellie&meredith Emellie&meredith

Can your parents pay for another vet?

She may have an infection that will be helped by antibiotics.

Can you post a picture of her so I can see her age please?

Emellie&meredith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm in Future farmers of America(FFA) I keep a lamb at school to show at my county fair. I when I went to go feed I saw her in the school parking lot. I took her in thinking I could provide a good healthy life for her. My parents already paid for her first emergency visit. I know it's solely up to me to care for her. I hope and beg she will some how pull through this. I would like to thank everyone so far that has helped me. Meredith my kitten however long or short her life may be, thanks you too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you able to get antibiotics at your local tractor supply store? They may carry cipro or albon or ampicillin.

They will also carry panacur. If she has worms affecting her, the panacur will kill them.

If you can get anything, I can advise you on the dosage.

Emellie&meredith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Meredith gave me her last breath a couple minutes ago. I was rubbing her nose and she let go.