Need Help With Cat Abusing Neighbor

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a mean neighbor who is teaching kids to chase cats with sticks and knock over the food and water bowels. I tried to be nice, but that didn't work. Now things are ugly. I want to put a note on her door that has legal information explaining that animal abuse is illegal. She does not speak English and is from Cuba. She is probably just ignorant that animal abuse is wrong, but she might stop is she realizes that she could get into trouble. Does anyone know of some information I could use to put on her door?

Bojim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a mean neighbor who is teaching kids to chase cats with sticks and knock over the food and water bowels. I tried to be nice, but that didn't work. Now things are ugly. I want to put a note on her door that has legal information explaining that animal abuse is illegal. She does not speak English and is from Cuba. She is probably just ignorant that animal abuse is wrong, but she might stop is she realizes that she could get into trouble. Does anyone know of some information I could use to put on her door?
Google is your friend. Go to Google and check out the animal laws in your city or google something like 'laws against animal abuse'. Then go to Google translate and translate the note to Spanish then stick it on her door. Add that the next time you see the kids or her engaging in this behavior that you will call animal control or the police. I know when it's a neighbor it's very hard and sometimes scary but you have to steel yourself and remember that she started it. Otherwise it will eat you up inside.

My HOA had a person complain about cats messing in her garden and tearing up her plants. She suggested DNA test of all the pets in the hood. I wrote back and told them DNA tests don't work because it's contaminated as soon as it hits the ground mixing with old poop from other pets who may be dogs whose owners think the rules are not for them so they stare at their phones so they can't see their pets crapping all over the place and not pick it up. And besides, if anybody touches my pets it won't end well. No word back but I really don't want the HOA to come after me but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Oh yeah. Strays in Cuba are everywhere and no one cares about them. Visiting Havana is terrible if you are an animal lover.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Bojim, sometimes trying to protect and rescue these cats is just too much for me and I don't know what to do. I appreciate your advice.

Bojim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that for sure. I get real stressed at times. Even on my days off, my cats get me up at 5 to feed them and by then the strays (I call them the Black family because black) are looking in the back door so I feed them too. Then I try to get back too sleep but I'm already worrying bout them. I'm tired all the time. We are the keepers of the animals. That's our lot in life. :-)

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would call your local cruelty hotline and report her. It's unlikely she'll be charged with anything at this point, but having a visit from an officer might help her realize that there are consequences for mistreating animals.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's Halloween so find the biggest, meanest kid in the neighborhood, pay him $20 bucks to dress up like a cat and beat the tar out of those kids!

Seriously, if you can get a video with your phone of the abuse as a record. The contact spca of animal rescue group with the proof. Some parts of the country have legislation with some real teeth. In Missouri we have the Right to Farm act which means you can abuse any animal and you're pretty save since Farm Bureau and others will protect you!

I'm sorry you have to go through this. BTW I read a study the other day that said most abusers start as youngsters with animal abuse.