Need Help--new Cat Hates Old Cat

wetigers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So two weeks ago I adopted a cat--he's approx. 5 months old and incredibly loving to people. When I adopted him he was at a satellite location with another cat about the same age as him. The shelter knew very little of his history, other than that he was a stray.

According to all of the records and information I could get, he's had chronic diarrhea since he was found--which I've been able to help by adjusting his diet (thank goodness). No one communicated to me that this was an issue until after I adopted him.

My current cat, who is 2 years old, is incredibly social with other animals. I started off by putting the new cat in his own room with everything he needed, then I let them smell each other through the door.

After a couple of days, I let them out together and gave them their favorite treats. They seemed okay with this. The new cat definitely stalked old cat a bit, but old cat just ignored him, which worked okay. I would keep them separated whenever I wasn't home and keep an eye on them when I was. Then one night, when I had decided to let my guard down and not watch them, the new cat attacked old cat and pulled out big wads of his hair. From then on, new cat wanted to chase and attack old cat, and old cat would hide behind me growling.

I have since separated them--with new cat living in his room. I take new cat out in his cat carrier so they can interact--old cat has done well to get over having his hair pulled out and hisses and growls less and less at new cat. But new cat pounces his front paws against the walls of his cat carrier whenever old cat comes close to scare old cat away. New cat huffs and hisses and whenever he gets the chance tries to barge out of his room so he can chase old cat, who curiously watches me enter in and out. New cat also has turned to bite me when I have stopped him from chasing old cat.

I've reverted back to this very controlled system of new cat staying in his room and his cat carrier for the last week and a half and have seen zero improvements in new cats behavior. I don't really know what to do. I've poured a lot of money into new cat because of his health condition that the shelter failed to tell me about and they've done very little to help. Now, on top of that, new cat seems determined to chase and hurt old cat, who wants nothing more than to hide behind me.

I don't really know what to do. I got new cat hoping to get a companion for old cat, who is an indoor only cat and is home by himself while I work. How long should I give new cat, to see if maybe he can stop wanting to attack old cat?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neuter him ASAP, then do a new introduction. How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

This is an unusual situation, since 5 month olds don't normally try and serious-fight older cats. They play too much and too aggressively for older cats, but they don't normally pull out hair, which usually means a fight with intent. With what you told us about your older cat, he would be totally fine with an average 5 month old kitten.

Ordinarily, I would never suggest giving a cat back, but it is possible that this kitten would be better off as an only cat. So that is something to think about here. Probably I would try to neuter and reintroduce, especially if the shelter will still take the kitten back in a couple of weeks if that fails.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wetigers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I have him scheduled to get neutered next Friday--I believe that the shelter is fine taking the cat back if it doesn't work out, but I should talk with them just to be certain. I love new cat a lot; we've had to do a lot of bonding since I've put so much energy into improving his health (and I've had to give him multiple baths). He's very sweet, but it's hard to see old cat being so stressed/scared. Old cat is such a big, fluffy, sweet cat, and really the first pet I've had on my own.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm almost positive the neutering will make a huge difference! Territorial aggression comes with the hormones. Do keep in mind that it takes a few weeks after the surgery for all of the hormones to fade from his system, so expect it to take some time.

I would keep them completely separate. No interactions at all. Let the scuffle memory fade. Then, a few weeks after the neutering, take 2 clean towels or cloths and rub them over each cat, and put the towel of the opposite under or near the cat's food bowl. Do this for a few days to create positive associations with each other's scents. Then you can bring sight back into the mix, but do so briefly, and try to end each session before anyone gets too upset, so you can end with a positive association. You can't go too slowly, and if things get tense again, go back a step.

I don't think you'll have to give the new cat back. Again, the neutering will help hugely, and the rest will just take time. It's unusual nowadays for a good shelter to adopt out a kitten that hasn't been fixed, partially for this reason, but also because they don't want more kittens to be made! That's another point against this shelter in my view.