need help - 2-1/2 week old orphan kittens

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A feral cat had kittens in our garage. She has access to the garage for food and water along with the other outside cats. She had them out in the open and was fine with me picking them up. There are 2 kittens. We live in a rural area. I have not seen her for 2 days now. So I'm sure something got her. In the meantime, the kittens were crying a lot yesterday morning. I moved them to the floor, in a large box with the cat bed they had been laying on before for the scent. I have an outside cat that is very friendly with me that had kittens 9 days ago. None survived. But she heard these babies crying and she climbed in the box and laid down with the kittens. I watched her to make sure she didn't hurt the babies. They seem to be nursing on her. Is it possible that she can produce milk for these babies after nine days? They seem to be quiet when she is with them and she hasn't left them except to eat. Only thing is when I go out there and they hear my voice they cry and cry.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A feral cat had kittens in our garage. She has access to the garage for food and water along with the other outside cats. She had them out in the open and was fine with me picking them up. There are 2 kittens. We live in a rural area. I have not seen her for 2 days now. So I'm sure something got her. In the meantime, the kittens were crying a lot yesterday morning. I moved them to the floor, in a large box with the cat bed they had been laying on before for the scent. I have an outside cat that is very friendly with me that had kittens 9 days ago. None survived. But she heard these babies crying and she climbed in the box and laid down with the kittens. I watched her to make sure she didn't hurt the babies. They seem to be nursing on her. Is it possible that she can produce milk for these babies after nine days? They seem to be quiet when she is with them and she hasn't left them except to eat. Only thing is when I go out there and they hear my voice they cry and cry.
Yes, she has almost surely milk for them. Milk comes in again when she is nursed.
And as the kittens are quite and seems contend, it confirms they are satisfied...

Do you have any possibility to take them all in? Its the safest, and the best way to ensure they will be adoptable inside, socialized, kittens...

A little odd they cry when they hear you... Ferales keep usually quite from someone stranger comes, not to endanger themselves...
I suppose they recognize you as a friend, and wants yours protection too.

Tx for caring!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Weigh the kittens daily to make sure they are gaining weight, then you will know they are nursing successfully. Good there was a mama cat to take over. The actual mom may be in heat and have gone off to mate.

I agree that bringing them inside would be safest until the kittens wean and you can spay this mom and the kittens also.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This feral cat has been here for 4-5 years. She always had kittens somewhere outside. And when they were old enough to eat solid food she would bring them to the garage. I never knew where she had them hidden. She has stayed around here and you would see her but never close. In the cold of winter, she stayed in the garage with the other cats and would hide under the car when I go out to put out food and water and clean the litter box. I could never get close to her. Not seeing her for 3 days now means something has happened to her. There are a couple of males around here so she wouldn't have far to go to find a mate.
Didn't think about weighing them daily. Good idea. I'm going to start doing that.
I have an inside cat (she's 11) and she does not get along with other cats. When this mama cat was a kitten I brought her and her brother in the house occasionally and it did not go well. We have a very small house so I don't have a room or area that I can keep them otherwise I would.